Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Application loses focus while dialing a number programmatically using ETel API

Hello,

I am dialing a phone number programmatically from my application using the ETel API . However when the dialing starts my application loses focus and after I end the call my application automatically comes to the foreground again.
    Is there any way I can stop my application from losing focus while the number is neing dialed ?

Thank You

Re: Application loses focus while dialing a number programmatically using ETel API

You could use something like this for staying in foreground:

iCoeEnv->RootWin().SetOrdinalPosition(0, ECoeWinPriorityAlwaysAtFront);

Regular Contributor

Re: Application loses focus while dialing a number programmatically using ETel API

Hello PushL,

Thanks for ur reply . I am relatively new to Symbian so could you please tell me where to put the line of code you suggested.
    The flow of code in my application is as follows :
    Event handler code in CMyAppAppUi::HandleCommandL() calls CMyAppEngine::MakeCall() which in turn calls the CMakePhoneCall::MakeCallL() function after initialising the telephony system.
    CMakePhoneCall is an active object class and CMyAppEngine is its observer.
    So do I put the line of code in the ConstructL() of my container class or within the RunL() of CMakePhoneCall before calling the dial function ?

Thanks a lot

It will depend on the specific behaviour you want to achieve. The method posted will keep your window on front of the others (with less priority of course). You could call this before dialling, and turn it off by using ECoeWinPriorityNormal, after RunL() is called. Alternatively, you could do this when CEikAppUi::HandleForegroundEventL() (or HandleWsEventL()) is called (only if you're in the middle of the dialling procedure) and force it to stay in foreground (you should test this to see if you get any flickering)
    I'd go to the first option.. in any case, make sure the user will be able to put your app in background, otherwise, your app could "monopolize" the screen, and the user will think the phone is freezed..

Regular Contributor

Hi PushL,

Thanks a lot , that worked