Discussion Board

Signing issues with N80

Hi All, I'm hoping i may attract the attention of someone who's using netbeans or suns wireless toolkit 2.3 beta and is signing midlets to run on my N80

Problem I'm having is when I sign my midlet and install it, the installation never completes, just displays "Certificate error contact provider"

I've signed the midlets in netbeans ide, and also using the tools in the wireless toolkit. I've tried using a certificate with the same common name as the actual domain I did an OTA install on but whatever I try I just get the same message.. the N80 doesnt like any certifcate i throw at it..

Anyone any thoughts/ideas

Thanks, Dave

Super Contributor

Re: Signing issues with N80

You should sign your midlet with a certificate which is installed on the phone. If you search this forum about this, you will see a number of threads discussing this issue.

Hartti

Super Contributor

Hi the_bolo,

Here is a signing tutorial for test signing ur application
    http://www.spindriftpages.net/pebble...275880301.html

Wang

Hi thanks for the replies.

What worries me is the fact I need to first install the certificate on the phone. If I want to distribute this application, I dont want to first insist my customer install my certificate.

Is there anyway of letting the jvm on the phone prompt the user to confirm if they trust me or not without making them install my cert first ?

rgds

Super Contributor

Hi Bolo,

U may use certificates from thwarte, verisign...which are already installed in the phone. But the problem is that u have to pay for signing ur application by the above mentioned vendors.

U may search the forum for more help regarding signing by the above mentioned vendors.

Wang

Super Contributor

Dave, the customer can install also unsigned midlet. The problem is that when the midlet using protected APIs the user has to confirm the method calls (it could be every call or once per session, depening of the API set). The user can also change the settings for each API set, but for unsigned midlets the "always allowed" option is not available. Signed midlets (you need to use the certificates available on the phone and buy a corresponding key from a CA or go through JavaVerified) have more freedoms. The default and available optional access settings for API sets can be found in various documents, like JSR-188 addendum at http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communitypr...R_addendum.pdf or Signing tutorial doc at forum.nokia.com

Also note that emulators allow the developer to use self-created certificates. That is not the case on real devices.

Sorry, if I explained self-evident things in here.

Hartti