Discussion Board

Nokia 6131: SSL Certificate and CA Question

Hi Folks,

Haven't seen much about this great phone here yet...

My question is regarding e-mail. I connect to my POP server through SSL (port 995) and this is fine in terms of phone settings, there is an option to set it this way, but the problem is with the certificate. I created my own certification authority (CA) and signed my certificate by that CA. Nokia has it's own list of official CAs in "Authority Certificates" menu option (Verisign, Thawte, etc.). When I try to connect to my POP server, connection is declined as phone considers it "untrusted" (as my CA is not in the phone's "Authority Certificates" list...).

There is a directory (is it a directory?) called "User Certificates" and I assume, this would be a place where I could place my CA (same way as one can do it in the browser). But maybe I'm wrong.

The whole certificates concept in this phone is quite obscure to me (even after reading a manual) and I'd like to ask somebody (preferably from Nokia ) to shed some light in this. Where are CAs located? In the SIM? In the phone? Is it a real directory I can access somehow? I don't understand it at all...

Can someone help me please? I don't want to spend big bucks to get my certificate signed by official CA just because I want to connect to my email from my mobile from time to time, when required (but not very often)...

Thanks.

Brani

Re: Nokia 6131: SSL Certificate and CA Question

One more thing:

There is a "Security module settings" menu item in Security settings which is inactive (grey). When I select it, phone tells me to "Insert security module". What a heck is that security module???

Thanks.

Brani