Discussion Board

Carbide Debug Output and Panics

I'm posting this mainly so that people, like me, can find it and hopefully save themselves a few hours.

Dev Env. Caribide IDE, SDK=Symbian S60 2.0. Application is an EXE (not APP)

I am very new to Symbian and Carbide but had my first program working nicely except it paniced on exit due to a __UHEAP_MARKEND. I say it paniced but this was just a guess since a break point after this statement was never reached.

The console (within the carbide IDE - not the one on the emulator) showed me absolutely nothing and the window in the IDE called "Debug" said the program had exited with return code 0.
    I read articles that said I needed to put a file called ErrRd in some directory (you can find such articles easily, for me the dir was C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20_CW\Epoc32\winscw\c\system\Bootdata ) to get "extended Panic codes". However this file was never written.

After much frustration I found the "Console" window in the IDE has a button menu on it that offers choices of "System Messages", "Debug Messages", "CVS" or "New Console View". Selecting Debug Messages showed me one line about a panic on thread main. The view actually showed me a whole load of output but because each line is separated by 2 blank lines I did not notice the output above the last message had scrolled out of view. So after scrolling back up I got my panic message and all was well after that.

The point is, this was a lot of frustration just to see debug output messages. This really should be more obvious. Why are these view options not Tabs in the Console window for example.

I hope this helps someone.
    Regards
    Ian

Re: Carbide Debug Output and Panics

Quote Originally Posted by ian.neall
    I'm posting this mainly so that people, like me, can find it and hopefully save themselves a few hours.

Dev Env. Caribide IDE, SDK=Symbian S60 2.0. Application is an EXE (not APP)

I am very new to Symbian and Carbide but had my first program working nicely except it paniced on exit due to a __UHEAP_MARKEND. I say it paniced but this was just a guess since a break point after this statement was never reached.

The console (within the carbide IDE - not the one on the emulator) showed me absolutely nothing and the window in the IDE called "Debug" said the program had exited with return code 0.
    I read articles that said I needed to put a file called ErrRd in some directory (you can find such articles easily, for me the dir was C:\Symbian\7.0s\Series60_v20_CW\Epoc32\winscw\c\system\Bootdata ) to get "extended Panic codes". However this file was never written.

After much frustration I found the "Console" window in the IDE has a button menu on it that offers choices of "System Messages", "Debug Messages", "CVS" or "New Console View". Selecting Debug Messages showed me one line about a panic on thread main. The view actually showed me a whole load of output but because each line is separated by 2 blank lines I did not notice the output above the last message had scrolled out of view. So after scrolling back up I got my panic message and all was well after that.

The point is, this was a lot of frustration just to see debug output messages. This really should be more obvious. Why are these view options not Tabs in the Console window for example.

Regards
    Ian
    The usual trick for the hardened and frustated Symbian developer is to lookup the epocwnd.out file, which resides in your Temp [open notepand, open file: %temp%\epocwnd.out] folder

Re: Carbide Debug Output and Panics

Quote Originally Posted by ian.neall

Regards
    Ian

I just spent several hours looking for this. Ian, you the man!

As a sidenote, showing panic codes in the debugger should be default turned on. The handsets should also have some kind of built in way of showing panic codes instead of forcing developers to install additional software.

Cheers, Peter