Discussion Board

Nokia 6682 Add Personal Certificate

The Nokia 6682 seems to have the ability to hold personal SSL certificates (ie, Tools / Settings / Security / Cert management / Personal) but I can find no way to add a personal certificate to the phone. I want to do this just to set up sending/receiving personal email over SSL from my own server without having to pay for a certificate signed by one of the major authorities (a ~$400 expense) and without getting a warning about an untrusted authority (due to having a self-signed certificate).

Can anyone point me in the right direction for installing my own root certificate on the phone? I can view installed certificates but there's no option in the context menu for adding one. I know that Cingular has disabled some options with their branded firmware, so that may be relevant here as well.

Re: Nokia 6682 Add Personal Certificate

Found the answer; you have to export the CA cert as a DER file, put it on the web, then make sure the web server is sending .der files as application/x-x509-ca-cert. Then when you download the .der file, the phone will offer to let you save it. This doesn't save it as a personal certificate, but as a certificate authority.

The problem now is that after doing this, the phone fails to communicate via SSL correctly. Every communication triggers an error within OpenSSL, "unexpected message."