Discussion Board

Lightbulb Carbide C++ & a Call Stack View ?

Hello everyone,

I have been using Carbide C++ Express ever since it came out and have learnt lots about it. There is no doubt that its a very good software, especially when you come to think of it that its for free as well.

However, I had one question...Codewarrior has something called the Call Stack in its Debug view, through which you can trace back how the particular function was called. its kind of like a "Step Back". It shows you all the functions that were called before you came to the current breakpoint.

Now Carbide C++ has something similar as well. The Stack view ( the window where it shows all the thread numbers when you Debug, upper right corner window). however, in this case all the calls are in the form of DLL file names and not functions which makes it really confusing.

So my question is ...how can we change this view so it shows the actual fucnion call and not the DLL from where the function was called. For e.g If you debug In the hello world example with a breakpoint on helloAppui::Handle EventL() function call, then in the stack you will see AVKON.DLL being called before that...I want it to show me what function was called before helloAppui::Handle EventL() in the AVkon.DLL...just like codewarrior does.

Thank You in advance.

Post Re: Carbide C++ & a Call Stack View ?

Now Carbide C++ has something similar as well. The Stack view ( the window where it shows all the thread numbers when you Debug, upper right corner window). however, in this case all the calls are in the form of DLL file names and not functions which makes it really confusing.
    Actually that's where you'll find the callstack, its called the Debug window. Yes its confusing, because it shows all the threads in the system too and one of them is the one currently executing that's yours. If you have a breakpoint set somewhere in the module you are debugging, Carbide.c++ should automatically switch to the executing threads call stack, in the Debug view. The executing thread also has a distinguishable icon too, so you can spot it.

Re: Carbide C++ & a Call Stack View ?

Hey Maxpayne,

Sorry i think I definitly confused you.

i didnt mean to say upper right, i menat upper left... . the debug window is precisely what i was talking about. Yes you are correct that it is confusing and shows all the threads.

However, as i mentioned it only precisely shows you the function name on which the breakpoint was placed and it won't show the previous functins from where the calls were being originated. just shows the DLLs. Codewarrior shows the whole function call chain and not the DLLs which much more useful.

Thanks for your reply.

mohsin,

Read my post carefully, I did say that the debug view has the call stack for the running thread.

won't show the previous functins from where the calls were being originated
    Of course it does! Take a look at: http://www.tanzim.co.uk/downloads/ca....callstack.jpg

Also, don't go about this left side right side window. Eclipse is a modern development environment, the views can be docked on anyside. Better start calling the views by their name, e.g. Debug, Console, Variables etc.

Listen Buddy,

I know what your talking about and I did read your reply "carefully".

I also saw your Call Stack Picture as well and its pretty much what i want to have however, how about you read my very first post "carefully" so you can understand whats the problem that I am facing. If you still dont get it then try making a HelloWorld example and then put the breakpoint where I have pointed out and you'll see what I mean. Send me over your E-Mail address and I will send over a screen shot of what I see in my Call Stack.

I only see the DLL files from where the calls are coming. I dont see the precise line number, function name and *.cpp file from where the calls are being originated.maybe I havent included the directories from where it can find he *.cpp files. for instance its showing me a call from coecntrl.dll probably because it doesnt know where the coecntrl.cpp file is.

Hope this better explains what I am seeing.
    Cheers.

I did not use this feature much back when I used the horrible IDE called CodeWarrior. Are you saying it reported the functions for avkon.dll and such other internal Symbian DLLs? That would indeed be a great thing to have in Carbide! Alas, I have not been able to find any setting to accomplish this.

It would require some special debug files since the Symbian DLL files do not export names for their functions. Perhaps only CodeWarrior knows how to use these files?

Assuming you do remember correctly that CodeWarrior showed function names for the Symbian DLLs.

When stepping through a program in a debug session the IDE attempts to match the program counter (PC) location in the executable with a known project source file. If there is no source file associated with the PC the debugger displays in the Debug view the current PC address of the thread (e.g. 0x6002CC11(EUSER.DLL)()) instead of the function name. At this point you can open the Disassembly view to step through the assembler code. This most commonly happens when trying to step into Symbian OS code. We recommend that you Step Return out of the OS code and back into your project to continue debugging.

------------From the help doc of carbide.c++.