Discussion Board

How To Transfer Music/Sync via WLAN on Nokia N91

Hi,

I've just got my Nokia N91 and I am having a nightmare trying to do anything with the WLAN.

I can browse the web via the WLAN so I have successfully configured my access point, thats boring tho....

How the hell do you transfer music and synchronise the calendar and stuff via the WLAN tho?????

It says in the manual that you can transfer music but gives you no instructions on how to do it.

Can anyone help me. ..... please?

Many thanks!!!!!!

Super Contributor

Re: How To Transfer Music/Sync via WLAN on Nokia N91

I´m not totally sure, but it sounds like an error in the userguide. There is no option in the phone to transfer music via WLAN, at least not with current software.

Can anyone confirm this for SURE????

Whats the point of having WLAN if you can only browse the web with it?

I want to be able to synchronise my calendar, music, contacts e-mail etc without having to plug my phone in, thats one of the main reasons I am suffering with this brick. If it can't do it its going back!

Someone please help me achieve this, its got to have something to do with the sync settings or the device manager.

There's absolutely nothing in the manual regarding this although it definitely says its possible, I quote:

-----------------------------------------
    Transfer music

You can transfer music from a compatible PC or other
    compatible devices using a USB cable, Bluetooth
    connection or WLAN. For details about connecting your
    device, see ‘Connectivity’, p.87.
    The requirements of the PC:
    • Windows® XP operating system (or later)
    • Windows Media® player application
    • Nokia PC Suite 6.7 or later. The sofware is available for
    installation on the sales package CD-ROM.
    Connection method:
    • USB data cable DKE-2 (miniUSB - USB)
    • Bluetooth enabled compatible PC
    • Active WLAN network
    -----------------------------------------

ANY assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

Just for the record the nokia website ALSO states you can use the WLAN to print pictures, copy music, view TV etc!

http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,87485,00.html

I can't believe that all these references are mistakes.

Super Contributor

Well, I wonder if those specifications are "messed up" a little. It is possible to transfer/play music using WLAN, with a phone that supports UPnP (like Nokia N80). When doing that you can browse in to another device connected to the WLAN, e.g other phone with same feature, computer etc. and share the content with them. With N91 that doesn´t support UPnP (as far as I know) you cannot do this.

The sync option with calendar, contacts are not working since Nokia PC Suite program don´t have any option for WLAN as the connection type, as you might have seen. I tried to setup a SyncML profile using the Sync under Connectivity menu. Unfortunately the only two available bearer types seems to be Internet and Bluetooth, and WLAN is not even selectable.

I think this needs to be answered by someone from Nokia , but for sure this information you wrote down regarding transferring music using WLAN seems to be wrong, when it concerns N91.

After becoming thoroughly frustrated with false promises of WLAN capabilities (all over the manual and Nokia website) I decided to phone Nokia's 70p a minute support line and get a straight answer. Natrually the operator had no clue and told me I needed to enable my wireless network!!!!! She arranged for someone to phone me back who did know and they informed me that the only thing you can use the WLAN for is surfing the web.

What a load of cack, why state things in the manual that are clearly untrue.

I have since sent my brick back to vodafone and never want to see another **** N91 again, I absolutely hated this phone (can you guess). I had a snagging list longer than both my arms.

Glad to be back using my old school 6230 again now. Lol.

After becoming thoroughly frustrated with false promises of WLAN capabilities (all over the manual and Nokia website) I decided to phone Nokia's 70p a minute support line and get a straight answer. Natrually the operator had no clue and told me I needed to enable my wireless network!!!!! She arranged for someone to phone me back who did know and they informed me that the only thing you can use the WLAN for is surfing the web.

What a load of cack, why state things in the manual that are clearly untrue.

I have since sent my brick back to vodafone and never want to see another **** N91 again, I absolutely hated this phone (can you guess). I had a snagging list longer than both my arms.

Glad to be back using my old school 6230 again now. Lol.

Super Contributor

You can use WLAN for
    - browsing
    - email
    - instant messaging
    - podcasting
    - streaming audio and video
    - etc. (in essence, any activity that works over TCP/IP = any "Internet" services)

So, whomever stated that you could only use WLAN only for web browsing was quite wrong.

if sync is possible through internet then in that case how we sync the calendar, notes etc....
    is there any server needed to support this.
    and i think connection through internet option should come also with PC Suite
    may be with later version of PC Suite

thanks

music, video and images can be downloaded vie Upnp streaming media server for example philips streamium http://www.streamium.com/ or http://www.simplecenter.com/ (open source) source can be optained from http://www.simplecenter.org/
    One could also develop own app