Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Moving from Symbian C++ to J2Me

Hiho,

Me and my school friends did a prototype mobile phone program for Series 60 platform with Symbian C++. Program was success and we have planed to do commersial program from it We thought that we should do it with J2ME because more end users could buy it or is it so simply? Would be great to hear your opinions before deciding which language we are going to use in our commercial mobile phone application? Right now the main reason for moving to J2ME is more users that we could reach. We arent going to do any low level program, just showing some pictures, playing a bit sounds, doing secured communication between phone and PC-server. Main problem might be database handling in mobile phone device, at least I have heard there is no relation database in J2ME. In Symbian C++ data managing was easy with DBMS API. Any idea how much would third part relation database component cost for J2ME? I would like to know too which IDE should we start use if we are going to do professional software developing, would it be Eclipse?

Thanks,
    Arachidyl

Re: Moving from Symbian C++ to J2Me

Hi Arachidyl,

"moving to J2ME - more users that we could reach"
    No doubt you're right. JME deployment is bigger now, but i think Symbian OS C++ is growing. The functionality you need is available on JME, it will work, except for RMS or DBMS API. No good opinion about it, but RMS should suffice, right?

which IDE should we start use if we are going to do professional software developing
    You may use Eclipse + Carbide.j from Nokia or NetBeans 5.0 + Mobility Pack 5.0 regarding that both are very professional.

Hope it helps

BR,

Juarez Junior

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your comments juarezjunior

Quote Originally Posted by juarezjunior

"moving to J2ME - more users that we could reach"
    No doubt you're right. JME deployment is bigger now, but i think Symbian OS C++ is growing. The functionality you need is available on JME, it will work, except for RMS or DBMS API. No good opinion about it, but RMS should suffice, right?
    Would you recommend us to choose J2ME or does Nokia's Series 60 platform devices sales volume increase rapidly, which might brings new interesting variable in mobile markets? Even Symbian OS devices will gain ground from other devices J2ME is still good choise I assume.

I have done some research about RMS and it hasnt convinced me in data managing; Symbian DBMS eats RMS alive We have planed to build own Relation database component or at least do component with usefull interfaces that would help in data storing. Do you J2ME people have any tutorials for how to extend RMS, because our application based a lot on data managing.

Quote Originally Posted by juarezjunior
    which IDE should we start use if we are going to do professional software developing
    You may use Eclipse + Carbide.j from Nokia or NetBeans 5.0 + Mobility Pack 5.0 regarding that both are very professional.
    I have done a J2SE game with Eclipse. Programming with Eclipse was fun in those days, so we will give Eclipse a try in our J2ME project.

One more thing that which books would you J2ME people recommend us to get from Amazon? We have saw that J2ME Polish sounds suitable in our project so we will get one book about it or download that from Polish website. One pure J2ME tutorial would be usefull too...

Regs,
    Arachidyl

Hi Arachidyl,

Even Symbian OS devices will gain ground from other devices J2ME is still good choise I assume.
    Yes, every Symbian device has support for JME.

One more thing that which books would you J2ME people recommend us to get from Amazon?
    Is it "pure JME" as you informed or game specific? I suggest you to buy this one, it covers general JME as well as MIDP 2.0 Game API.

Developing Scalable Series 40 Applications - NOKIA Developer Series
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,6566,40_27,00.html

I have it, very good!

Hope it helps!

BR,

Juarez Junior

Regular Contributor

Its pure application not game. We have thought to study J2ME Polish to have a good looking GUI.

Right now it looks that we will still stay on Symbian C++ and commercialize our service on that platform before moving to J2ME. In Finland we have a high hype around Series 60 devices, so we thought to get more financial support and interest with Symbian C++. In additional Symbian C++ application prototype is pretty much ready, just need to finalize it.

Hi Arachidyl,

Sounds good and feasible plan. I didn't know you're in Finland as well as S60 adoption there, no doubt you should go for S60, then JME in order to reach emerging markets with low-end devices. May have helped anyway

BR,

Juarez Junior
    Last edited by juarezjunior; 2006-06-10 at 23:02.