Discussion Board

Arrow DEVELOPING MULTIPLAYER MOBILE GAME

What i want to know is that how can i create a multiplayer mobile phone game? how do i establish connection between different hand sets being used for playing? Please give me some other suggestion than Bluetooth. I want the game to be playable by users at larger distances too. Is there any sdk,tool,server etc available to establish connectivity between different hand sets?Plz reply as soon as possible.

Re: DEVELOPING MULTIPLAYER MOBILE GAME

If you want long distance, connected games you cannot use Bluetooth or WiFi. Instead you have to use SMS, packet data (over GPRS, Edge or 3G) for your communication between users playing the game, just as you indicate in your post. What you are asking for is usually called "Over-The-Air" (=OTA) multiplayer games.

As for technologies, you have some options. If you want to do something today, I'd recommend that you look at using solutions such as Terraplay's MOVE concept, Nokia's SNAP, Exit Game's Neutron, to name a few.
    All these are built on the concept of a central server that acts as a swith or router, distributing the data packets between the users currently playing the game. Some of these products are good at community features (e.g. SNAP), while others excel in real-time data handling, allowing things like first-person shooters over 3G (e.g. Terraplay MOVE). Then there are different commercial models for each solution, so it's a bit of a jungle...

As an example, the company I work for has several reak-time OTA connected games. One is a mobile first-person-shooter game (much like Quake or Doom) with a real-time, OTA multiplayer game mode. Works great over 3G and Edge.
    http://www.blaze.com/s60games, then click on "Lock'n Load - Rise of War" for screen shots.

Then there are new technologies that are starting to appear. IMS/SIP is today deployed at quite a few operators, but still quite few handsets support it, so I personally think there will be big money in IMS/SIP games. But it's very cool technology and will certainly be a cornerstone of tomorrow's mobile games services.
    Btw, SIP stands for Session Initiation Protocol, and is a way to establish point-to-point connections between two or more handsets.
    (Very) simply put, with IMS, SIP and associated standards every phone supporting those standards get a unique address, sort of like computers on the Internet have unique addresses. Someone can probably expand on this topic and give a propert definition of what IMS and SIP is and does...

BR,
    Göran Sander
    Blaze

Super Contributor

Hi Abhishek,

If u r looking for a wide network then SIP is the best option.
    You can search this forum or google for more help regarding help.

Here is one
    http://www.sipcenter.com/sip.nsf/htm...s,+Source+Code

Wang

Hey here you can even get a free SIP server and development tools and all.
    https://developer.ubiquitysoftware.com

Check out these guys, they've developed a framework (client/server) for networked gaming:
    https://developer.ubiquitysoftware.c...ion-networking

Emmanuel
    Last edited by eproulx; 2006-06-14 at 03:51. Reason: Missing info

Quote Originally Posted by gorsan
    As an example, the company I work for has several reak-time OTA connected games. One is a mobile first-person-shooter game (much like Quake or Doom) with a real-time, OTA multiplayer game mode. Works great over 3G and Edge.
    http://www.blaze.com/s60games, then click on "Lock'n Load - Rise of War" for screen shots.
    Hi,

Is any of those multiplayer games in commercial service over major mobile operators' network?

So far I've found only two which use Terraplay's solution on Motorola's portal. Nothing on Vodafone or T-Mobile.

Cheers,
    Sunho

My question is: Are these technologies and environments java based?

Thank you