Discussion Board

Usability problem with BT ending up on "Messaging"

I am starting this thread to make Nokia engineers aware that their "obex files ending up on Messaging" is wrong from both the usability and technical point of view. I wrote about it on the second page of my E61 review here: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=14841 and also a discussion about this very issue exists here: http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26431

I explain there how the current behavior of files ending up on Messaging instead of the public filesystem is bad and counter-productive.

Super Contributor

Re: Usability problem with BT ending up on "Messaging"

I am NOT an Nokia Enginner but I have the reason why and it is described in the following independant article

Getting Started With C++ SDKs and Symbian Development and I quote the following

Installation by transfer of a .sis file through OBEX (OBject EXchange), over infrared or Bluetooth, from another device such as a PC, Symbian OS phone or any OBEX-enabled device. This process will be managed via the Messaging application, which intercepts the file attached to the message—when you open up the message, it will automatically start the application installation process on the phone.

Alternatively, .sis files can be sent as email attachments. Application installation is again managed via the Messaging application on the phone. When you open the message, it will automatically start the installer.
    The facility is support in ALL Phone Symbian series support systems,even other manufacture phones anything that uses a .sis file

Without this how could we install or start applications, this a not just a bluetooth its also a InfraRed problem. The OBEX JSR82 does not implement the directory.

Looking at the DRM and copyright it would be very easy to copy the application from the public filesystem. Java apps do not get installed in public folders because they could be copied.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by jimgilmour1; 2006-06-11 at 21:12.

Re: Usability problem with BT ending up on "Messaging"

I am sorry, but on my review of the E61 I gave a good example why this behavior is wrong: I could not utilize my index.html file the way I wanted to. The phone's behavior restricted me.

Obex is an ftp-like protocol. How would you feel if your FTP transactions on Windows ending up on Outlook and it wouldn't let you copy these files on your Desktop? Personally, I would call such a system flawed.

As for the DRM stuff, what you said doesn't make much sense. If someone sent you a jar file, it means that this person (or yourself) have this file on a desktop somewhere. There is nothing stopping you from uploading that file on the web or burn a CD for your friends. By restricting users to not be able to save down their files from Messaging, you just add a 10 minute delay on the piracy process (until the user figures out an alternative method of pirating software). You don't eliminating it.