Discussion Board

IP address of Mobile?

If a user requests a URL via a J2me application, is the IP address in the Request Headers the IP-address of the mobile or is it the IP address of their provider?

Hence do all users from the same mobile provider/operator have the same ip-address or do they have different ip-addresses?

Regular Contributor

RE: IP address of Mobile?

Hello,

Mobile data works basically the same way as Native Address Translation (NAT), but the mobile network doesn't use IP internally. Mobile phones don't have an IP address. Mobile phone uses the operator mobile communication network to reach GGSN, which is the gateway to IP networks and Internet in general. The IP address you see is the address of an operator (provider) GGSN.

Hence, currently you can only create mobile originated data connections between an IP server and mobile phone. The MSISDN (or more commonly, phone number) of the SIM card is the identifying number for a mobile phone.

Regards,

Petteri / Forum Nokia

RE: IP address of Mobile?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for the reply.

So, is the ip address in the http header, the ip-address of the operator's IPnetwork/GGSN?

If so, will this IP address be the same for all the customers of that mobile operator/provider?

hi if you have GPRS service activated on your mobile than Please visit
    http://www.sumitcomputers.com/phoneinfo.php from your GPRS mobile phone

Hello
    I've tried the hint from adasani, and got a lot of info which I believe could be useful for me. I need to identify the handset. That could be the MSISDN or something else, but some unique identifier. What from that info which I got from calling this link, could be the handset unique id?

I would appreciate any help,
    Thanks,
    David

Regular Contributor
    Originally posted by davidgu
    ... I need to identify the handset. That could be the MSISDN or something else, but some unique identifier. What from that info which I got from calling this link, could be the handset unique id?
    I don't think any mobile will send a unique id. If the user uses the mobile's browser you could try setting a cookie and identifying that if the user hits your url the next time. I never tried and don't know if permanent cookies are common on mobile's browsers.

If you request the url from a midlet you could send the device's bluetooth device address e.g. as a parameter if the device supports the bluetooth api.

See http://www.mobile-j.de/snipsnap/spac...MEI+or+not+...

Regards
    Bjoern

Re: IP address of Mobile?

Quote Originally Posted by michael2 View Post
    If a user requests a URL via a J2me application, is the IP address in the Request Headers the IP-address of the mobile or is it the IP address of their provider?

Hence do all users from the same mobile provider/operator have the same ip-address or do they have different ip-addresses?

Hi in my point of view users from the same mobile provider/operator will not have the same ip-address .Every user has unique IP address .If you want to know the IP address of your ISP visit Ip-details.com .

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: IP address of Mobile?

The correct answer is there, in the first reply (post #2). The relevant part of this conversation happened 10+ years ago.
    In many cases, mobile network operators assign private IP addresses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network) to the devices, which are unique inside the network, and invisible to the outer world. Outer world sees NAT/proxy address/es, not necessarily a single one. A HTTP request does not necessarily contain own IP address, that is a 'forged' header constructed on server side, based on the inbound TCP connection.
    Anyway, people having 3 posts from 10 years ago do not necessarily need new answers now.