Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

S60 3rd edition, WSDL, WebServices anyone?

Has anyone had any luck using the WSF in the S60 3rd edition SDK? I'm getting very confused and frustrated with all the information and misinformation that I'm getting. Is there a combination of tools and SDK's where there is possible to use WSF in some rational way? And by this I don't mean writing the whole darn thing myself.

This page:http://forum.nokia.com/main/0,,1_66_1,00.html
    states that:
    A Web Services Description Language (WSDL) to C++ wizard is available to create stub code for Web services clients designed for S60 3rd Edition.

Sounds great! Where exactly is the wizard? Included in the SDK? Integrated in the IDE? SDK help does not contain any information about it. I've also browsed around the SDK directories until I got dizzy. No such luck. Carbide.vs or Carbide.C++ does not either contain anything even close to a WSDL to C++ wizard.

The same page: http://forum.nokia.com/main/0,,1_66_1,00.html
    states that:
    Developers using Visual Studio also benefit from Carbide.vs, which provides support for the Symbian OS build process and a WSDL converter.

I've tried using Carbide.vs and Visual Studio .NET 2003 cause it should support WebServices usage in some manner. Though I'm not sure that "WSDL converter" is. Well, I tried creating a simple 3rd edition project and then add a web refecence to it. Fine. Visual Studio generated bunch of ATL code for me which is useless in S60 environment thanks to many good and bad historical reasons.

So, I'm asking if anyone knows any sane way of using WSF? Which tools and which SDK's? I've already spent like days on the whole thing.

In the past I've used gSOAP for accessing WebServices with 2nd edition SDK's. Do I have to get back to that or continue trying to use WSF?

How does all this compare to using WebServices in regular (or compact) .NET framework? In any case developing takes at least 10 times more time.

Regular Contributor

Re: S60 3rd edition, WSDL, WebServices anyone?

I managed to generate the classes that I needed with the tools that were released today. I'm going to have to change my naming a bit because it looks like the tools generate it's own classes with certain naming.

Here is a small example of the generated code:
    NONSHARABLE_STRUCT(RLoginResponse) : public Xsd::MTypedXmlData
    {
    ~RLoginResponse() { Close(); }

const Xsd::TMetaType& MetaInfo() const;
    void Close();

Xsd::RNullablePtr<HBufC> iSessionId;
    Xsd::RNullablePtr<RArrayOfSettingItem> iSettings;
    Xsd::RNullablePtr<RArrayOfView> iViews;
    Xsd::RNullablePtr<HBufC> iWelcomeText;
    };

NONSHARABLE_STRUCT(RLoginResponse) : public Xsd::MTypedXmlData
    {
    ~RLoginResponse() { Close(); }

const Xsd::TMetaType& MetaInfo() const;
    void Close();

RLoginResponse iOut;
    };

It's quite obvious that the later class will not compile since a class by that name has already been declared. But this is only cosmetics.

I'm looking for any example which is using gSoap and works on any new s60. Do you have maybe link to such example - tutorial?

Regular Contributor

Hello,

I only know that gSOAP itself contains simple example and tutorial for S60 but is is for rather old version of the SDK.

What I did was generate the code with wsdl2h using "-s" (no stl) option and sligtly modified typemap. Here is the changes that I made:
    # xsd__string = | char* | char*
    xsd__string = | wchar_t* | wchar_t*

Then I used soapcpp2 without any special parameters. The pain comes in when you need to convert between wchar_t* and descriptors. It's no fun at all but it works.

Hope this helps!

Super Contributor

Hi,

The WSDL tool for S60 is here: http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...d_for_S60.html

You are right that some of the links to the tools seem to have gone missing, thanks for pointing it out. Just want to remind you of the Search function though, entering "WSDL" into the Search gives the S60 tool as the second hit..

Just as a quick primer, S60 includes some Nokia proprietary APIs for WebService creation. The WSDL tool/wizard takes WSDL files and creates C++ stub code that uses the Nokia APIs to access the Web Service defined by the WSDL file. The stub code "presents" the WebService to the rest of the code as a locally callable method so you should be able to use Web Services without any resort to SOAP, XML etc coding. As the generated code uses the Nokia Web Services APIs that exist in S60 3.0 only, the code will only work on Nokia 3.0 devices.

The tools is best used as a Wizard adjunct to Carbide.vs 2.0.1 in which case it directly generates the code into the Carbide.vs project and also sets a lot of the other stuff needed like libraries etc. The tool also includes a command line interface that enables the tool to support any IDE, eg. Carbide.c++ or CW once you import the generated code into the IDE.

Tank you myohol I will try that

Hi Mitt,

The "Download Now" at the URL

http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...d_for_S60.html

is not working.

I am not able to download the package and install it.

I tried searching the string "WSDL" in the forum nokia and got links for User's Guide for Nokia WSDL-to-c++ Wizard for S60, Release Notes for Nokia WSDL-to-c++ Wizard for S60, and Installation Guide for Nokia WSDL-to-c++ Wizard for S60. But, when I click those links and try to download them using the Download button, its not working. I have been trying to access them since last week.

If you could do something about them, please try to restore the links. Do I have to have a Forum Nokia Pro account to access them?

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

The maintenance should be done, most links are repaired if this one isn't by tomorrow morning report it to nokia.forum.team@nokia.com they will need to manually fix it.

Ron

Super Contributor

At least for me it works...

Regular Contributor

For me it works too.

At least the link (Nokia WSDL-toc++ Wizard for S60 Installer):
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...S60Wizard.html

Thanks "Nokia Ron" and Mitts. All the links are working now. Thanks very much for the quick replies/fixes.

Hi,

I tried to generate the C++ code using the command line tool and I got the following error.

X:\WSDL_to_C++>wsdl2cpp filename.wsdl
    Creating inc\Service.h
    Error on line 747 of file:/C:/Nokia/Tools/WSDL-to-C++_for_S60/utils.xsl:
    XPTY0004: An empty sequence is not allowed as the result of function f:PartName()
    Transformation failed: Run-time errors were reported

Can anybody help me resolve the above error and generate the complete C++ code?

Thanks,
    Charan

Super Contributor

The code converter at least thinks that the WSDL that you are using is badly formed (either absolutely or compared to what is supported). If you can control the WSDL (ie if you can tweak the WebService definition on the server), try to change the definition of PartName - see User guide for supported data types etc. If the WSDL is not under your control, you are out of luck and the wizard will not be able to support the WSDL..

Thanks for the reply... I will try that and see what happens..

I don't understand one thing. Since the WSDL-to-C++ tool is for S60 v3.0 and most of the developers use Code Warrior, why there is no mention of Code Warrior in the User Guide of the installation package. Why there is no plugin for CW and there is a plugin for Visual Studio .NET?