Discussion Board

Certificate not on phone or sim

I have a 6234 and on the memory card is some preinstalled apps/games inc. the bluetooth application 'presenter' by nokia. So I wanted to copy this across to a new 1GB memory card. With read only problems trying to copy it to my computer I then 'moved it' over to my phone's memory. Now I get a message "Certificate not on phone or sim". I have tried coping it back to the old memory card but still get the same message. How do I create a certificate for these. I don't care about the game demos but do want presenter application and now it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Do you have a SIM inserted in your phone?

Re: Certificate not on phone or sim

thank you for replying
    yes I had my sim card inserted the whole time.
    I had tried to copy the app to my computer but it said it was read only and wouldnt allow it (I've had no trouble coping other non java stuff). so i decided to move it to my phone using the phone's menu itself to do this. I did this with all the apps including something called sensor and the demo games which were on the phone's memory card. I tried to run it on the phone itself and it came up with the error message "Certificate not on phone or sim". I moved all the folders back to the memory card but it made no difference the program didn't work. Would you know where I could get a working copy?
    I have installed other java apps (that didn't come with it) on my phone with no problem. I'm new to 3rd edition with series 40 and don't know anything about signing or certificates needed.

Hi,
    Did you solve this problem? We're facing the same problem...
    Thanks!

I think the Java engine on the Nokia 6234 isn't that stable?
    When I first got the phone when occasionally opening a Java app/game it would crash, before the first splash screen came up. The phone then said this application is bad, Do you want to delete it (replying no). It then marks the file as bad and only switching the phone off and on again clears this mark. And so can try to reopen the Java app again. This a rare occurance so never had any problems again once retrying.
    So to answer your question I kept trying to open it when eventually it crashed, marked it as bad. I switched the phone on/off. and suddenly could use it. I later found that other apps, demo games also worked. I'm not sure if this had anything to do with it but mine now works ok. sorry I can't be of more help. I also may suggest leaving it switched off for a few minutes or taking the sim card out, turn the phone on/off, then put the sim card back in and switch it on.
    On a simluar note I have found certain games will crash when the sound is turned on during play, but this maybe due to having the wrong version of the game.
    I love the phone so hope a later firmware upgrade will solve these small points.

Angry Re: Certificate not on phone or sim

Quote Originally Posted by itsik78
    Hi,
    Did you solve this problem? We're facing the same problem...
    Thanks!
    Just got a 6233 and did exactly the same thing, and got exactly the same problem.

Shame too, I want to use that app.

Angry Re: Certificate not on phone or sim

Quote Originally Posted by pugsly
    Just got a 6233 and did exactly the same thing, and got exactly the same problem.

Shame too, I want to use that app.
    So I emailed Nokia.

Here's the response I received.

"Thank you for emailing Nokia Careline.

In response to your inquiry, please be advised that the 'Presenter' application is copyrighted and is not easily moved to other devices. I suggest getting the 'Presenter' application installed to your backup memory card at your nearest Authorised Service Centre (ASC)."

I then called and got the same response. I firmly requested that the issue be escalated.

In short, for now, if you want to use the wireless presenter app, and a larger microSD card than the diminuitive 64MB one supplied by Nokia, then either swap your cards in and out as you need to use the app, or take your phone to a Service Centre to get the application re-installed.

Since the Service Centres aren't open on weekends where I live, I'll be waiting for Nokia to get back to me. If that doesn't happen in the next week or so, then I'll have to take some time off work.

I couldn't get more than a very rough indication when I might get a call back from Nokia on this.

If this model of phone sells well for Nokia, and they don't get a fix out soon (or install the application directly on the phone rather than a user-replacable card) then I believe they're going to get a lot of people heading into thier local ASC.

Smile Re: Certificate not on phone or sim

Quote Originally Posted by pugsly
    Here's the response I received.

"..is not easily moved to other devices."
    Which means it's difficult, not impossible.

I've learnt more in the last few hours about SD cards than I really wanted to know. It seems that where you can't copy files with Windows, you can with linux.

When we moved the files from the SD card to the phone, it left behind a couple of files - I think one of those is the certificate. I couldn't copy them with Windows, and after some googling, it seemed others had success with copying the files under linux. Luckily I had a vmware image handy, so I booted it up, put the card in, and hey presto - the files copied.

So we're half way there... Put in the new card, copy the files back and stick it in the phone. Run the application... *drum roll* - and it works.

So if you want to be able to move this application to a new card, use linux.

Try to delete the .jad file. It worked for me. After spending an eternity trying to use it on linux.

klaudiu, deleting the .jad file worked for me too. Thanks.