Discussion Board

Can't make any EXE using a DLL to work on 3rd series

Hi all,
    after weeks of wasted time and vague answers, I'm still in middle of the mist regarding the reasons why a simple EXE calling a function in a DLL works on the emulator and why the EXE doesn't even start when on the phone. Tried every possible solution and/or alternative, but nothing seems to solve this problem.

I'm using CodeWarrior PRO 3.1.1 with the latest patches and the Series60 3rd Edtion SDK Maintenance Relkease (the prvious SDK has exactly teh same problems). Even tried Carbide.vs, Carbide.C++ and the command line. The UIDs have been allocated form teh SymbianSigned site from the unprotected range you it is possible to self sign the SIS (using the cmd line: "createsis create HelloWorldBasic.pkg" and following the instructions on the screen)

Basically my DLL consists of simple function returning an integer value, the EXE is the HelloWorldBasic SDK example modified to call the function in the DLL.

The sample project is here (TestDLL and HelloWorldBasic)

http://www.barefootmobile.com/LelesFtp/TestProject.zip

Thanks in advance.

BR,
    Lev
    Last edited by Leviathan2040; 2006-06-19 at 16:48.

Re: Can't any EXE using a DLL to work on 3rd series

Found the answer thanks to a gentleman at Nokia Forum PRO:

Unfortunately the answer is that CodeWarrior (a piece of software not exactly cheap) do not support the creation of DSO objects from the IDE even with the latest patches applied and the only way to compile DLL (or better DSO) for the device is to do it from the command line (usual bldmake bdfiles, abld build gcce urel etc etc).

BR,
    Lev

I'm sure CodeWarrior can build DLL, at least have done it many many times, my target is GCCE and of courde S60 3rd Edition.
    If application is not starting in device check your UID's, I had some problems with these my application was running in emulator but in device nothing was displayd. Finally i found out that i had wrong UID.

[EDIT] OK have to take that partially back, I had had some problems of samekind but could you please confirm that your program was working with DLL build from commad line but not working with DLL build from CodeWarrior

Jascco

Well I've managed to build working EXE's with DLL's. Problem is the CW with GCCE. CW with ARMV5 build chain works fine.

For GCCE I've build my applications from command line. Install new clean SDK and use that for building. Do not import any project to CW so that it will use this clean SDK. Somehow it will be corrupted and command line build won't work anymore. Don't ask why.

Hopefully this helps.