Discussion Board

Unhappy Signed midlet can't access IMEI number?

Hi all,

After reading MIDP: System Properties v1.2 document, I purchased a Code Signing certificate from Thawte and signed a midlet created from the example from the document.

When I run the midlet on my N6280 (version 3.60), the IMEI field return null. The document also states that IMEI number only work in Series 40 3rd Edition devices only except N6270 & N6111. Is the N6280 the same as N6270?

What other Series 40 3rd Edition phone in the current market can provide this function together with video.capture?

Will N6131 be able to provide IMEI from midlet as well as use the camera to capture snapshot for my midlet?

My current project is in alittle limbo where the use of camera and IMEI are key ingredients.

Hope someone could provide some guidance.

regards

Jason

Super Contributor

Re: Signed midlet can't access IMEI number?

please see a discussion on how to get the imei number
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=79462

wang

Smile Re: Signed midlet can't access IMEI number?

Wang_Shui,

Thanks for your response and yes, I have read all those postings and lots of documentation from Nokia, Motorola many other phone manufacturers.
    I'm using the correct codes and the midlet is signed with a Thawte certificate. It is recognized as a signed midlet on my phone.

I am able to use the SnapShot function from MMAPI but need to find out about getting the IMEI number from the device as a form of security authentication.

If my guess is correct, the N6270 is the US version of N6280, but I need confirmation that they are of the same J2ME support. Also wanted to know if the N6131 have similar or better J2ME support.

So if anyone have that information, please share here.

Thanks again!

Jason

Super Contributor

Nokia 6270 is not a U.S. version of 6280. It is sold world-wide. Check the specs here http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,0...tml?model=6270
    Nokia 6282 is a U.S. version of 6280. http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,,0...tml?model=6282

Would it be possible for you to use something else than IMEI as a security authentication? Can you tell a little more what you are doing with the IMEI?

Hartti

Hartti,

Thanks, did the check on the 6270 specs. Looks similar to the 6280. So can I presume that the documentation on System Properties for S40 3rd Edition do not return IMEI covers 6111, 6270 and 6280?

My intention for the use of IMEI is to identified the device where data is been sent. As mobile device are not always connected, it will be troublesome for my application users to perform user authentication with the server before they can sent data to the server. The plan is to required the users to login once per day (about 10hrs max). The login depends on the device IMEI and a assigned PIN. Once authenticated the server will keep the IMEI as valid device for recieving data from till the time expired the device.

From my experience with Symbian, the device IMEI and even the Cell ID of the network operator can be captured. But understand these are not available on the J2ME platform.

With such gaps between Java & Symbian, it will hard work for developers to have similar functions on their applications on each different platform.

Jason

Super Contributor

I quickly checked with 6131 and 6280 (with signed System Properties midlet and with quite new firmware versions) and I did not get the IMEI codes on those devices. I do not have 6151 at hand right now, sorry.

Hartti

Cool Re: Signed midlet can't access IMEI number?

Hartti,

Thanks for doing the test on 6131, you just save me a few hundred dollars and explanation to my bosses on why it didn't work in getting IMEI too.

Gotta try other designs in giving users a simple yet efficient business application on mobile phone with some sense of security as well.

It is getting tiring for me to find a solution and all the explanation to my bosses why J2ME is no better than Symbian codes that I currently have.

Jason

Super Contributor

One more note from the System porperties doc http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._2_en.zip.html

"MIDlet must be signed to manufacturer or operator domain..."

Hartti

Cool Re: Signed midlet can't access IMEI number?

Thanks Hartti,

Yes, noted that statement and verified on my own 6280 that Thawte cert is accepted and have since signed a few test apps and have them tested on my phone. The signed apps are working well with the request for snapshot function.

BTW, I'm on a Singapore network from operator MobileOne (M1). I will have it tested with another operator Singapore Telecom (SingTel) in the coming days.
    Then it will be just short of the remainding operator StarHub.

Jason