Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to lock/disable phone?

Hi,

Are there any possible ways to lock/disable your phone programmatically? Meaning i want the phone to become unusable if in case my phone is lost or my sim card has been changed. Any examples around?

polaris_1985

Regular Contributor

Re: How to lock/disable phone?

Programatically I don't know.... but it's useless to do it programatically because the device will be switched off by the one who will steal it from your pocket...

It's a Series 60 device?

If yes, go to Tools > Settings > Security > Phone and SIM > Lock if SIM changed. Set it to ON.

Also set a PIN code to your SIM

Nokia Developer Expert

You can alos set a LOCK code for your S60 phone. It will ask you for the code of Power-On or when a time period set by you expires. The default Lock code is in the User manual,

There isn't a API avaible to set this feature programatically as it would be of no benifit to the user and would open the phone for malicious attack. Obvious and a definite requirement that S60 engineers would be aware of.

Hope this help

Nokia Developer Champion

Some models, like the 9500, 9300 and 9300i have a remote locking feature, whereby you can send it an SMS to lock it (if it still has your SIM card and you know the number). Details in the User's Guide of the respective devices.

Of course, it is also a good idea to turn on the feature that requires lock/security code entry, if the SIM card is changed (that way if the phone is lost or stolen, a person can't just take out your SIM card and put in another one).

The power on PIN code request is an additional security measure.

And, you can also enable the locking of the phone after a certain period of inactivity.

Hi,

I just wish to do it programmatically bcos i want to be notified if indeed my mobile is being stolen. Yes i have set it and stuff but then i just want it as an extra feature. Any ideas?

Nokia Developer Expert

Smile Re: How to lock/disable phone?

Are you not able to tell yourself that your phone has been lost/stolen?

I am confused how you would go about enabling a mobile phone to be aware that it is lost/stolen i.e. what parameters would trigger your phone to contact you that it was 'lost'?

The original question was "Can I lock the phone programatically?". The answer is 'no' because we can't have phones being locked by malware type applications.

The phone can lock after a period of time, so a found phone would be useless to the finder. If you had the phone contact you everytime the phone locked would not be of much use as most time it would be false alarm, and hence the fact when it was lost would be ignored as the message would be the same as thousand of others.

Can you explain your thoghts on how such a feature would work?

Thanks and hope this helps

Valuable insight indeed.

I could be wrong, but what I reckon is most people will not by default set the phone lock code and/or SIM-change lock code. Only when the misfortunate of losing the phone happens, that locking the device would come to mind, but too late.

One reason might be finding it inconvenient to unlock each time before using the phone, or changing SIM when one has more than one mobile number.

Activating the lock programmatically and remotely might just avoid the 'regret' of not locking it the first place due to conveniency.

I agree that Security is never about conveniency, and their relationship is inversely plotted against each other, and therefore, individual would have their own different sweet-spot, which is the intersection of the 2.

Having said, so, are there an APIs that allows program (C++ or Java) to make changes to device (eg. S60-3rd) security settings? Where and how to obtain them?

Cheers.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by polaris_1985
    Hi,

Are there any possible ways to lock/disable your phone programmatically? Meaning i want the phone to become unusable if in case my phone is lost or my sim card has been changed. Any examples around?

polaris_1985
    Sending an SMS on Sim change to a particular number can be a good idea too..
    keep running an exe in the background listening for IMSI chage, or on bootup check for the IMSI and if it has changed send an sms.

Hi Frienz ,

I have a small doubt regarding this.

In case if there was any program to lock the phone when the phone was stolen , the program does not help if the stolen person format the phone and flash with new compatable ROM image.

My doubt was is there any way to avoid flashing ROM image with password ?
    Regards
    Anzi.
    ==============================================
    It is easy to learn by query others, than reading ! - Anzi

Nokia Developer Champion

No, there is no way to prevent flashing a new ROM image. A normal/typical person will not be able to do it, if they can't turn on the phone at all (lock/security code enabled and also required for switching SIM cards).

Are there any APIs that allows a (signed) program to make changes to the device's (eg. S60-3rd) security settings, in particular, turning on/off the device/SIM-change Lock & setting the respective Lock Codes?

If so, Where and how to obtain them? Thanks.

Nokia Developer Champion

No published APIs for such, as far as I'm aware.

So must I pay $$$ to Symbian or Nokia to obtain the APIs?
    Anyone knows the details? thks.

Regular Contributor

Post Re: How to lock/disable phone?

In antitheft technology ,If sim card is removed then some acknowlegde ment is sent ...i dont know about that properly...

Regular Contributor

Post Re: How to lock/disable phone?

Might be look out for Antitheft technology which come with SAMSUNG phone. they have some sim programming . I dont know in details.

Chirag