Discussion Board

Angry Key codes on the E61

Has anyone else noticed that some of the keycodes on the E61 are nonsense?

I've just been checking a simple MIDlet on one which displays the keycode when any key is pressed and they don't match the keys themselves.

Pressing the 1/R button gives the ASCII code for '1' but pressing it with shift gives the ASCII code for '!', which admittedly is normally over '1' but isn't on this keypad. I can't find any way of getting the ASCII codes for the letters which share their keys with the numeric pad.

Also, the buttons which combine letters and symbols give me the correct codes for the letters (in both upper and lower case) but I cannot find a combination which returns codes for the symbols.

Has anyone else noticed this or found a way around it?

Cheers,
    Kirwan

Re: Key codes on the E61

Yes I have also found the same problem.

Please let me know if anyone has found a resolution or a workaround.

I ended up resorting to using the high-level API for all data entry rather than the low-level implementation I use for most other devices.

Unhappy Re: Key codes on the E61

Quote Originally Posted by klyster
    I ended up resorting to using the high-level API for all data entry rather than the low-level implementation I use for most other devices.
    What high level API?

It makes me headache also!

The low-level display API is based around the Canvas and Graphics classes whilst others like Form, List and TextBox are part of the high-level API, the difference being that the high-level classes allow very little control over how the displayed elements appear - they should appear as similar screens normally would on the phone.

In my instance, at the appropriate time the MIDlet jumps from the Canvas used for most of our MIDlet's UI to a TextBox which lets the phone deal with the text entry. When the user is finished, I return them to the Canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by klyster
    The low-level display API is based around the Canvas and Graphics classes whilst others like Form, List and TextBox are part of the high-level API, the difference being that the high-level classes allow very little control over how the displayed elements appear - they should appear as similar screens normally would on the phone.

In my instance, at the appropriate time the MIDlet jumps from the Canvas used for most of our MIDlet's UI to a TextBox which lets the phone deal with the text entry. When the user is finished, I return them to the Canvas.

I see, Thanks

press any key with shift may give you difference keycode. number key 0-9 is the standard keycode, but if you hold shift, it will change to something else.

In my case, I will ignore all the keycode when Shift key is held.

But the problem is E61 have many difference keyboard maps in difference markets. if we can not get any symbol from the system, nobody knows what symbol should response to the specified keycode.

Dammm.....
    frog is the best

I would expect the ASCII code for the relevant symbol. If shift or a function key are pressed I would simply expect one code for the resulting combination.

The other QWERTY device I've spent most time with - the O2 XDA Exec - does exactly this and has been very easy to incorporate with my own text entry system. Sadly the E61 seems to be far more random in its use of key codes.

Nokia Developer Champion

The keycode issue is corrected in the next public firmware release. 2.0618.06.05 if I am not mistaken.

Hartti

Quote Originally Posted by hartti
    The keycode issue is corrected in the next public firmware release. 2.0618.06.05 if I am not mistaken.

Hartti
    Yes that is correct, I upgraded my firmware to 618.06.05 and it fixed the problem. But the problem is known to happen in 610.04.04.