Discussion Board

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

S60 Signing and Certification

Question: Is application signing mandatory in S60 3rd Edition?

Answer: Yes, application signing is mandatory. Note that applications can be developer-signed, because Symbian Signed is not mandatory in S60 3rd Edition. An application can be signed with a developer-created certificate, which is created with the MakeKeys utility included in the S60 3rd Edition SDKs. If an application needs to gain access to certain Symbian OS platform security capabilities that are not user-grantable or certain market channels, it must instead be Symbian Signed.

More about Platform Security, Symbian Signed and certification can be found from the brand new Platform Security section in Forum Nokia. Just browse it at
    Forum Nokia -> Platforms -> S60 Platform -> Platform Security.

http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/plat.../security.html
    Last edited by stichbury; 2006-07-26 at 19:28.

Super Contributor

Re: S60 Signing and Certification

Question: I got one the following messages when installing signed application in S60 3rd Edition phones:
    - "Certificate error. Contact the application supplier"
    - "Unable to install. Constrained by the certificate"
    - "Required application access not granted"
    - "Unable to install a protected application from an untrusted supplier"
    - "Unable to install"

Answer: I have posted a blog explaining several error messages that may pop up when installing signed application in S60 3rd Edition phone. Take a look at it at http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/view_entry.html?id=93. Hope this helps solving your problem.

Antony
    Last edited by antonypr; 2006-06-22 at 18:24.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron
    Question: Is application signing mandatory in S60 3rd Edition?

Answer: Yes, application signing is mandatory.
    No, application signing is not mandatory; S60 3rd Ed. allows also unsigned apps (that only call unrestricted APIs or those requiring capabilities the phone user can grant).

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by petrib
    No, application signing is not mandatory; S60 3rd Ed. allows also unsigned apps (that only call unrestricted APIs or those requiring capabilities the phone user can grant).
    Can you install a non-signsis-ed application to any 3rd edition device? I have some doubts: even the prototypes from a year before refused to install anything that was not signed (and that signing restricted you from nothing, I used All -TCB all the time. But the signing itself was mandatory).

Super Contributor

Petrib, at least in the current implementation of S60 3rd Edition, signing is mandatory. If we install unsigned application (even with no capability at all), S60 will display "Certificate error. Contact the application supplier".

I am not sure about the future S60 releases.

Antony

Super Contributor

Yes (unless an operator has restricted the phone to only signed apps). The setting to allow unsigned apps (All) or only signed apps is in the Application Manager (Options > Settings).

In other words, application signing is not mandatory on current S60 3rd Edition devices (or Symbian 9 in general).

Super Contributor

@petrib: Do you mean "unsigned application" == "application signed with self-signed certificate"?

This is the copy of S60 SDK 3rd Edition documentation (copied from Introduction to S60 3rd Edition | Testing and Signing With Symbian Platform Security | Symbian Security Model):

"S60 3rd Edition introduces mandatory signing of applications. This means that the application will not install if it has not been signed."

Super Contributor

I mean "unsigned application" == "application not signed at all with any certificate whatsoever".

Symbian 9 requires apps to be signed only if they call Symbian APIs protected by capabilities that the user can't grant (the app UID must also be from the unsigned range, or it doesn't install).

Regular Contributor

petrib: S60 3rd ed. requires SIS files to be signed. Sure, it may not be mandatory in Symbian, but it is in S60.

Nokia Developer Moderator

the app UID must also be from the unsigned range, or it doesn't install.
    Could you please suggest a specific UID to try?

Nokia Developer Champion

>>Symbian 9 requires apps to be signed only if they call Symbian APIs protected by capabilities that the user can't grant (the app UID must also be from the unsigned range, or it doesn't install).

Actually whether an app must be signed or not is configurable at rom build time and thus depends upon the particular device and thus is not a requirement of OS 9 itself.

Regarding S60 3rd Edition I believe that all applications must be signed with the proviso that if the application has no capabilities or user assignable capabilities it can be self-signed. (using makekeys to create a key for this type of application)
    Last edited by hotcheese; 2006-07-04 at 04:35.

Regular Contributor

I have heard that there is an aplication on 3rd that can allow to install sis file with dev cert, even without device IMEI.
    Where can I download this sis file?
    Because if I get new device, I need to request new certificate.

osla

Super Contributor

Where did you hear that?
    There is self-signed certificate that is not bound to IMEI number. But the capabilities are very limited.

Antony

Regular Contributor

I heard from someone, but i don't know it is true or not,
    so I need to clarify this, if it exists or not..

osla

hi guys..
    maybe you know is there a limit on the number of files in the SIS package? i have a strange problem described here:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=85258
    i have all the right certificates and capabilities..and my data files are all caged in the \private\<my uid> dir! Could it be somehow related to packaging/certification? the error message i get is "Unable to install" which is described in http://blogs.forum.nokia.com/view_entry.html?id=93, however given hint is certanly not the case.. please help!

cheers,
    algiz