Discussion Board

Symbian C++ SDK 3rd ed and ARMI Release?

Hello,
    I have SDK 3rd ed and use Carbide C++ 1.0. In the previous editions of the SDK I was using the ARMI Release. But now I tried rebuilding my project under 3rd ed and there is no ARMI Release. Does anyone know where this can be downloaded from? I understand the ARMI compiler is a separate download from the SDK. I've tried looking all over the web for downloading this but I'm unsuccessful. It would be great if someone already knows the link to this download.
    Thanks!

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Symbian C++ SDK 3rd ed and ARMI Release?

Whe you build for target GCCE it builds your application as a THUMB application. This is comparable to ARMI on 1st/2nd edition as with ARM5/THUMB code interoperates without the need of a fix-up ie. ARMI meaning 'ARM-Interoperable' for ARM4 and THUmB code.

3rd Edition/Symbian follows the following rules when build for GCCE or ARMV5 targets in abld.

Kernal is built as 32-bit instruction set ARM5
    User-side code is built as 16 bit-instruction set THUMB

ARM5 and Thumb interoperate without the special target of ARMI as in 2nd,1st Edition SDKS.

You can force your app to built as ARM5 if required by using a macro in your bld.inf file

see the SDK "Symbian OS v9.1 » Symbian OS Tools And Utilities » Build tools guide » The native build targets" for more infom about build targets

Super Contributor

How about ABIv1 or ABIv2? Which one should third party developers use?
    Last edited by antonypr; 2006-06-23 at 22:33.

Thanks for your help guys:

When I use GCCE Compiler, I get a whole bunch of compile errors on the exact same code that used to work with 2nd ed.

Examples:

Line in code:
    iLog.Write(_L("DrawImage()"));

Error:
    ../src/xxx.cpp:216: error: passing `const RFileLogger' as `this' argument of `void RFileLogger::Write(const TDesC16&)' discards qualifiers

Line in code:
    TReal m_y = my.GetTReal();

Error:
    ../src/yyy.cpp:990: error: request for member `GetTReal' in `mx', which is of non-class type `TInt64'

Line in code:
    GLDEF_C TInt E32Dll( TDllReason )
    {
    return KErrNone;
    }

Error:
    ../src/zzz.cpp:83: error: `TDllReason' was not declared in this scope

I'm yet to try to force it to compile using ARM5 as you mentioned.
    Thanks!

Nokia Developer Expert

The GCCE compiler is a stricter ANSI C++ compiler than the older gcc, you may need to fix some of your previous code which is now non-compliant.

The TInt64 is a CPU supported type in Symbain 9.1/S60 3rd Edition. It will require you do make some changes.

DLL entry points have been removed from S60 3rd and SOS 9.1.

Check out some of the migration guides to S60 3rd on Forum Nokia.

@antonypr: ABIv1 is compatible with ABIv2. My recomendation is to let the tool (abld, makmake) in the SDK select the correct format. In future the default may change to ABIv2, but as stated the tool will be updated at that time for the newer targets. As secondary point, most applications will not see any benefit from being compiled using ABIv2 over ABIv1

hope this helps :)
    Last edited by billbonney; 2006-06-28 at 18:52.

Thank you! Yes it was very helpful. I finally corrected the compile issues and able to install the SIS file on the Nokia N80 phone. However the App panics and which I'm now debugging.
    Cheers.

Thanks. It's that I'm finding.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pakornss View Post
    Thanks. It's that I'm finding.
    Are you aware that you are posting messages to threads which have been couple of years old. Another of a similar thread where you posted!!