Discussion Board

J2ME Installing problems on 7650

I am having great diffculty getting my application (a game) running on the actual 7650 device (OS version v3.12 18-06-02 NHL-2NA)

Before I start, let me preface with several things:

1. I have tried numerous routes to get my jar/jad onto the phone:
    - emailing, and installing from inbox
    - right-clicking on jar and sending it to an IR recepient and then installing from inbox
    - using the PC suite and doing Tools:Install device software and then picking a jar and jad.

(I only have IR - not Bluetooth) .. All of these routes have resulted in the same problems.

2. I have also tested every jad/jar I have tried on the emulator - the Series 60 Beta 01. All of them have worked perfectly well.

3. Every time I have tried new things, I have been deleting the old, failed file from the phone, and switched the phone off and on again, and restarted PC Suite.

4. I have been compiling my code using the Sun J2ME Toolkit. I tried to use the Nokia Developer Suite to compile my code (Create Application Package on the dropdown), but couldn't make it work.

5. I have tried removing all Nokia extension code, obfuscating my code, not obfuscating my code.. sending only the jar file ... I have copied the format of the jad and manifest file from working jads and jars .. all to no avail.. now onto the problem...

Upon uploading and then attempting to install my game, the I get the error message 'Application: System Error': QUESTION 1 FOR NOKIA SUPPORT: WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE CAUSES OF THIS RATHER CRYPTIC MESSAGE?. The install bar goes up, and then the phone beeps and gives me this error. The application now sits in the 'Downloaded' section of Apps and subsequent attempts to install it result in the same thing..

Now.. I tried to rename the whole project - jar, jad (and jar-URL in the jad).. (I was getting desperate by now). Although I was expecting exactly the same thing as above to happen, (since the contents of jad and jar were identical and only the name has changed) what I got upon uploading the jad and jar was a 'File is corrupted. Delete 'myjar.jar?' message. QUESTION 2 FOR NOKIA SUPPORT: WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE CAUSES OF THIS SIMILARLY CRYPTIC MESSAGE?

Okay - here's where it starts to get complex.. but do try to follow - you'll find it strangely compelling..

TEST 1 : Overnight, the phone ran out of batteries. The following morning, I plug it in, and try the renamed jar and jad again. This time, I encounter the original problem - the 'Application: System Error' one. Hmmm, I thought..

TEST 2: Next, I took my game, and stripped everything out, resulting in a really simple app that just displayed an image for a set amount of time, and then displayed another image. I tried this on the phone, and received a 'File is corrupted message'. I did this using a jad and jar that used the same name as the renamed jar - that previously had resulted in the Application: System Error problem.

TEST 3: Now I deleted this file, rebooted the phone and PC Suite etc. etc.... and tried my FULL version of the game again using the renamed name again.... this time I got the 'File is corrupted' message - the EXACT same file with the EXACT same name had previously given the 'Application: System Error' message (see TEST 1). At this point, I'm wondering whether these are real error messages at all, or whether Nokia has created a tiny demon inside their phone which chooses random error messages at will. QUESTION 3 FOR NOKIA SUPPORT: IS THERE A TINY PERSISTANT 'DEMON' INSIDE THE PHONE THAT REMEMBERS WHAT'S BEEN INSTALLED BEFORE?

Also.. I've also tried stripping out all my resources, and most / all of my classes... (by opening the jar and just deleting them) in the hope that something inside the jar is upsetting the phone in some way, and I've always encountered one of the above two problems. QUESTION 4 FOR NOKIA SUPPORT: WHEN ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL JAR FILES, DOES THE PHONE 'LOOK INSIDE' THEM TO CHECK THAT RESOURCES AND CLASSES USED IN THE APPLICATION ARE ACTUALLY PRESENT IN THE JAR, BEFORE INSTALLING OR HAVE I GENUINELY PROVED THAT THE CONTENTS OF MY JAR ARE NOT SUSPECT?

I can manage to install a number of other applications on my phone, with my software - just not the one I'm working on. I've now spent 2 days battling this problem, and am starting to become extremely tired and demoralised. I would be most grateful if someone from Nokia support could at least answer my questions (IN CAPITALS) so that I have some hope of narrowing down and maybe one day solving this problem and getting my game working on a 7650.

Many thanks,

Ricky Haggett

RE: J2ME Installing problems on 7650

Hi, the java stuff does work on the 7650. Try the midlets on www.widefield-computing.com/index.wml with your WAP browser on the phone. They should come down on to your phone and be installed. If they fail to come down and run on your phoe with no problems they is something wrong with either the phone or the WAP connection.

These are demo bits of code and run on lots of different "real" Java enabled phones. If you find all these do work OK, then take a good look at your jad file and most important the manifest file. If the versions in the manifest and the jad file aren;t the same then some phones just bin the lot and won't load them. Also make sure the size info is spot on.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

am having the same problems.

1. midlets developed under linux work fine.
    2. on windows I have some problems with jar file corrupted.

Most likely you are developing also on a windows machine.
    I tested yesterday some things on my linux and I have this feeling
    that windows puts again the wrong linefeed types behind each line in your manifest file.

The nokia phone does not like it. I tested like this:

I unjarred the package, rewrote the manifest file under linux and jarred it again on linux (no recompiling). Then send it to the nokia 7650 phone and everything worked fine.

REMIND, I was NOT using a jad file at all for this example.
    AND the contents of the manifest file on windows and linux version are the same. Just rewrote them with a different editor.

siebe

There's one point to play around - the preferify utility. I see it produces jars of different size if you use Sun's one or Nokia's. Also you can try to preverify with classes.zip from Sun or Nokia ...
    May be javac -target 1.1 option helps?

Just ideas ...

I was wondering if you ever get to solve your problem coz I'm encountering the same problem. I received the same set of errors on the 7650 phone. I can't seem to find the solution to it. I hope you could help me.
    Thanks!

Hi,

Don't know if these suggestions help - but I also have same revision (v3.12) and I initially had these issues with some non java apps (only on OTA download - not via inbox).

1) I was told by Nokia Tech Support in my country to do the following (not sure if it helped but haven't had hassles with own developed jars) : Switch off phone - but make sure you actually take out the battery and also remove your SIM card. Replace your battery - and then switch on with sim card taken out (you will get a sim card missing error). Switch off phone and replace SIM. Switch phone back on and it should have reset itself properly.(??)..

2) Also would suggest if you are using Windows - you can also download JBuilder 7 Personal - which is free (v8 is imminent i think). The Nokia Developers Suite also integrates with this IDE - and I have found no problems building/running files and then using them on the real device.

3) Also just to confirm that you should be able in most cases to just send the jar file to your inbox and install that without the jad via your inbox. (sometimes additional program info is placed in the .jad - like the postcard examples - so you need it then). I use bluetooth but shouldnt imagine the process for getting something to your inbox is different for infrared.

Niall

Hi,

i have EXACT the problem as rickyhaggett and tried the same things.
    BTW i tried compiling under windows AND linux - nothing helped, I still get the "system error" Message after the download.
    Any solutions yet ?