Discussion Board

Is signing Compulsory for midlets?

hai

I am new to j2me i develop a network application its works fine in emulator nokia 6230i ,but when i install the same application in nokia 6230i , the application starts fine , and canvas screens are appear i am not getting any error ,but the data from the server is not came. i am not sign the midlet , any one plese tell me what i have to do (settings) before install

thanks & regards
    Ravi varma

Super Contributor

Re: Is signing Compulsory for midlets?

MIDlet signing is not compulsory/mandatory. As to why your program fails, I don't know.

Super Contributor

Do you have the network code in the same thread with UI code? My guess is that your midlet is not able to connect to the server properly and therefore there is no canvas to be shown (the midlet never reaches that part of the code).

Separate the network connections to a separate thread from UI. Also make sure that the access point is set correctly for you phone and midlets (there are a number of discussion threads on this topic on these boards)

Hartti

Super Contributor

Ravi,
    In case you have missed, please check whether you can acces Wap/GPRS through the default phone browser. Also check that you have given proper permissions in the JAD and MF. Does the permission question poppes up in the real device when trying to connect to server ? Make sure that you allow the permission dialogs.

Regards
    Gopal

Having a working browser (WAP) does not say anything about MIDlet connectivity on a Nokia 6230i. Double check issues related to this, too.

Super Contributor

>>Having a working browser (WAP) does not say anything about MIDlet connectivity on a Nokia 6230i.

Yep! That I know. :-P But I just want to know whether his WAP/GPRS service is enabled by the network operator. In case the service was not activated!

Regards
    Gopal

Hi experts,

My question is not related to the previous questions, but related to the title...

I've never used a nokia phone before. And i'm planning to get a nokia phone, one of my target is with the S60 3rd edition. I'm a programmer. Thought it would be fun if i'm able to code something in my own phone.

Knowing from my friend that for S60 3rd edition, someone can't just install his own .sis to the phone. Must get it signed first. I don't have plan to get a developer license to have my app signed as i just do it as a hobby, just for fun.

I'm planning to go to J2ME way. So, my question is, can i code my own J2ME app, without J2ME signed, and install it in a S60 3rd edition phone? Can i utilize all the phone's features without getting J2ME signed?

Many thanks for the answer.

Super Contributor

The new platform security of 3rd edition does not affect the Java ME security framework. So you can install unsigned midlets on 3rd Edition devices the same way as before and they are prompting for permissions (more or less often) from user when trying to access restricted methods.

Hartti

Super Contributor

Hartti,

Have you tried with self signed certificates in S60 3rd Ed devices like N91 or 3250? Does they work fine as they did in S60 2nd Ed devices like 6630? If you have a S60 3rd Ed device could you please give a try and send in the results?

Regards
    Gopal

Super Contributor

Gopal, you cannot add your own certificates on the S60 3rd Edition devices to use them in Java midlet signing.
    See also this thread http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=82715

Hartti

Super Contributor

Thanks Hartti! and Thanks for the link too.

Regards
    Gopal