Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

make sis on symbian 3rd edition

hi there,

i just installed codewarrior3.1 and symbian sdk 3rd editon. after read some tutorial "S60_2nd_3rd_Ed_Differences_in_Features_v1_3_en.pdf",

1. i still confuse on this line: "S60 3rd Edition includes mandatory .sis file signing, which means that all .sis files must be signed before installing them to the device."
    what does that mean? does it mean that we cant make sis from the command line? do i need some tool?

2. then there is line like this "There are two certifications for signing that developers will need to gain access to restricted APIs — “Symbian Signed” certification will be needed to allow the release version of a suitably
    complex application to run on devices based on the 3rd Edition (and later), and “Symbian Developer Certificate” will be required to allow developers to test the application on a real device while in development."
    what is the difference between "symbian signed" and "symbian developer certificate" ? do i need to pay?

3. after seeing some pkg on s60examples there are 3pkg files. armv5, armv5_abiv2, and gcce. i have read the difference somewhere. my question, which one is the common one? when i should use each of those?

4. how to create a new project using codewarrior 3.1 that the new project is ready for symbian3rd edition, because i hav tried and it creates for 2nd edition with "TDllReason" problem.

TIA,
    Rx-lee

Super Contributor

Re: make sis on symbian 3rd edition

Quote Originally Posted by Rx-lee
    1. i still confuse on this line: "S60 3rd Edition includes mandatory .sis file signing, which means that all .sis files must be signed before installing them to the device."
    what does that mean? does it mean that we cant make sis from the command line? do i need some tool?
    You can still make the sis file from the command line, using MAKESIS. Only you must now sign it using either a developer certificate (more of which shortly) or by self-signing. You sign the sis package using the SIGNSIS tool. Or combine use of both MAKESIS and SIGNSIS together by using CREATESIS. Check out your SDK for more information about these tools, or start reading here: http://www.symbian.com/developer/tec...Toplevel%2etoc

2. then there is line like this "There are two certifications for signing that developers will need to gain access to restricted APIs — “Symbian Signed” certification will be needed to allow the release version of a suitably
    complex application to run on devices based on the 3rd Edition (and later), and “Symbian Developer Certificate” will be required to allow developers to test the application on a real device while in development."
    what is the difference between "symbian signed" and "symbian developer certificate" ? do i need to pay?
    Developer certificates are needed if you give your code more privileged capabilities for which self-signing cannot certify.

That is, you *can* simply self-sign code which uses no capabilities, or those from the basic set of User capabilities. But any code which uses a system capability (ProtServ, for example) *cannot* be self-signed. It needs to be signed with a certificate that reflects a level of trust.

(a) For you to test on hardware, you can use a developer certificate, available from Symbian Signed. You have to submit information about yourself - the more high-risk the capabilities, the more information/justification for using them, will be required.

(b) For you to release your application for others to use, if you're using the system capabilities, you must get the SIS file signed by a signing authority, like Symbian Signed.

You've probably seen the site already, but if not, check out www.symbiansigned.com for more information about developer certificates and the pricing structure which applies to getting them for high risk capabilities and for Symbian Signing itself.

3. after seeing some pkg on s60examples there are 3pkg files. armv5, armv5_abiv2, and gcce. i have read the difference somewhere. my question, which one is the common one? when i should use each of those?
    The package files are different because they take binaries from the different types of build for hardware. That is, to run on hardware you can either build your code using the free GCCE compiler, or the RVCT compiler. Different binaries are created in different directories under \epoc32\release\. The package files are thus different because they pick up binaries from those different locations.

In your case, you probably want to use GCCE to start with, because it's free.