Discussion Board

Emulator Problem

Well, seems quite a few people having problem with the emulator, which shows nothing but blank screen. Some of them get it fixed by disabling the sound card. Unfortunately, despite the fact that I don't have any sound card installed on my PC, i still got the "blank screen emulator" problem.

Here's my details:

I downloaded and installed S60_2nd_FP3 SDK, set system environment variable EPOCROOT to be \Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3 (not including C: as described in the document: Symbian_OS_Getting_Started_v1_0_en.pdf).

And then just simply try to run the emulator, but all it shows is just the blank screen. And then i checked the log files, which says there's a problem in the ini files, so I checked through the ini files:

epoc_352x416.ini,
    epoc_176x208.ini, and
    epoc_240x320.ini

And noticed that the it specifies the virtual drives as below:

_EPOC_DRIVE_D \epoc32\wins\d
    _EPOC_LocDrv_1 E:

Although I don't really know what drive D is on the symbian OS (i only know C and Z drives as described on the document), I do know there's no directory C:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\wins\d on my PC, instead, I have C:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Epoc32\winscw\d, so i thought give it a try, turn wins to be winscw.

However, still no luck, on the log file still saying problem with ini file, screen still blank.

And also, folks, I don't see anywhere doing the virtual drives mapping for C and Z. Where do I specify such virtual drives mapping?? I assume for S60_2nd_FP3, ther virtual drives mapping for c and z should be
    \Epoc32\winscw\c and \Epoc32\release\winscw\udeb\z respectively?

Thanks a lot for your comments\replies.

Cheers!

Jack Xie

Nokia Developer Moderator

Post Re: Emulator Problem

The document you mention was published on November 21, 2003 so it only applies to the SDKs that were available at that time (e.g. EPOCROOT is not needed anymore instead you will need to use "devices.exe" and set your SDK as default). You should use as install guide the document provided in SDK's installation kit.

The S60 2nd FP3 does not include support for Microsoft's build tools therefore the only available emulator target is WINSCW.

I don't see in document any references to editing the epoc.ini. Unless SDK's release note mention that you should apply some corrections to that file then you should not touch it unless you really know what you're doing.

The mappings of the emulated C: and Z: drives are implicit, you do not need to declare them anywhere.

Re: Emulator Problem

Thanks for the reply, ltomuta.

If the doc i was checking out is the the right one, which one i should refer to? Because I downloaded S60_2nd_FP3 SDK, unzip the package, there's no such installation guide. The only doc i got is releasenotes.txt. i read it, my pc system satisfies all of the requirements, except for the additional requirement:

- EnvironmentSwitch tool requires Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML)
    to work. Preferred version is 4.0 or later.

, which i don't really know what it is, and assume it is not essential for me to run the emulator. And also, i've tried to search on this website for that installation guide, but i couldn't find any.

Therefore, if you could give me a link to such s60_2nd_FP3 SDK installation guide, that will be very helpful.

==========

Meanwhile, I will try to show you what I've done, how i try to run that emulator. Hope anyone of you points out what I've done wrong:
    1. download and install s60_2nd_fp3
    2. check default device, by running devices on the command line, it shows me "S60_2nd_FP3:com.nokia.series60 - default", which is expected.
    3. try to run the helloworldbasics:
    3.1 go to C:\Symbian\8.1a\S60_2nd_FP3\Series60Ex\helloworldbasic\group
    run "bldmake bldfiles" - no error or warning messages
    3.2 execute another command: "abld build winscw udeb" - no error or warning messages
    3.3 on the command line type epoc to run the emunlator, and the screen stays blank forever...

Thanks for any comments/replies!

Jack Xie
    Last edited by jackxie; 2006-07-02 at 22:32.

Ok, I hope I'm not annoying you guys. But i still can't get the emulator working.

Tried uninstall, and install again for a couple of times, still no joy.
    Whenever i run, always saying "there's a problem in the ini files" in the log file. but just don't have a clue about that...
    BR,

Jack Xie

The logfile you are talking about is the logfile for the FLogger component. I also have logs.txt telling me "There is a problem with the INI file". For normal use of the emulator, that is no problem, but if you want to debug some system components it would be nice if Flogger is working.

Regards,

Rene
    Rene Heuven
    Inmote - Creative Smartphone Solutions
    Web: www.inmote.com
    E-mail: rene@inmote.com

Thanks for your reply Rene Heuven, my Emulator just came up to work spookily. What happened was, for the periously 2 or 3 weeks, when I tried to run that emulator, i was never asked to register such product. And suddenly early this week, i tried to run it again and see if any miracle would happen, and then i was asked to register it, which i did. And then, after registered it, i tried to run it again. It works, see, miracle does happen.
    BR,

Jack Xie

Thanks, jackxie!!

This is the most useful post I have read in months. I had this blank screen problem from day one and could not find a way out, until I read this thread and decided to register. The emulator started working immediately after that. And this is less than one week after installing the SDK and, obviously, there had been no message asking me to register. Why the hell do they say that we must register "after 15 days"? Who on earth would care about registering a product which does not work?

Regular Contributor

what do you mean by register? how can i do that? i have faced the problem as yours.

Quote Originally Posted by microdot View Post
    what do you mean by register? how can i do that? i have faced the problem as yours.
    I mean filling a registration form (specific to the use of this emulator) somewhere on the Nokia developer web site. I cannot remember where, but you must directed there from the emulator itself when it starts and this registration is required (or is there a "registration" menu command, until you have registered?). Sorry, but I cannot remember more.

Regards,