Discussion Board

Unhappy Compiling for emulator target (DevKit 9.3)

I don't seem to be able to compile anything for the emulator target. I'm using Symbian's DevKit release 9.3 and not an S60 SDK. I only get an error saying: "ERROR: Unable to identify a valid CodeWarrior for Symbian OS installation"

The DevKit documentation states that to compile I just need to run:

bldmake bldfiles
    abld build vs2003 udeb (project)

I've tried adding the "vs2003" to the PRJ_PLATFORMS in the bld.inf with no luck. Do I need to install CW or what gives?

I also had S60 SDK 3rd edition and Carbide.vs 2.0.1 installed but uninstalled those since I thought they might be causing the problem.

If any help my software installation sequence was as follows:
    Installed the DevKit 9.3
    Installed S60 SDK
    Installed Carbide.vs
    Installed GCCE tools included with the packages
    Uninstalled GCCE tools
    Uninstalled Carbide.vs
    Uninstalled S60 SDK

Re: Compiling for emulator target (DevKit 9.3)

To simplify this into one question:
    Should one be able to compile (from command line) for emulator after just installing the DevKit 9.3? Assuming Microsoft VS 2003 .NET is installed aswell.

After reading the documentation over and over again I would think the answer is yes but still I am not able to compile for emulator target.

Super Contributor

Read the chapter "Symbian OS build guide" in the help guide.

I don't think 2003 is supported, only VC 6.0

I also think you might need CodeWarrior OEM

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Todd
    Read the chapter "Symbian OS build guide" in the help guide.

I don't think 2003 is supported, only VC 6.0

I also think you might need CodeWarrior OEM
    Yes, I think I'm forced to conclude that what I'm trying to do just is not supported. We probably need to get a CodeWarrior license then... The whole build guide seems to be concentrated on building with CodeWarrior and assumes it has been installed. In the documentation there seem to be the following somewhat conflicting statements:

Under » Symbian OS v9.3 » Symbian OS build guide » Symbian OS Build System User Guide » Getting started:

The following is a list of software required to perform OS builds from CBRs. Some variations have been known to work on occasion, but this is the only configuration supported by Symbian.

In the past, Symbian has experienced failure of the build as a result of the installation paths chosen for the software listed below. This was due to the build process occasionally exceeding the maximum path length allowed by Windows. For this reason, it is recommended that these products be installed to the same directories as listed below as they have been tested and found to work at Symbian. Also note that you should be logged in with Administrator privileges before attempting to install any of the software listed below.

Software required:
    Windows NT 4.0 Platform with Service Pack 5 or above, or Windows 2000
    Metrowerks CodeWarrior for Symbian OS (version 2.8 or above) installed to C:\apps\Metrowerks\OEM<version>.
    NOTE: CodeWarrior is only required if you plan to build Win32 binaries using the CodeWarrior compiler tools.
    Microsoft Visual C++ 6, with Developer Studio Service Pack 3 installed to C:\apps\MSVC6.
    NOTE: MSVC must be installed. Practically all build options use at least one or more of the tools supplied by MSVC.
    Java Development Kit 1.3.1 installed to C:\jdk1.3.1.
    Java Runtime Environment 1.3.1 installed to C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3.1.
    ARM RVCT 2.1 (Real View Compiler Tool) from 8.1b only to C:\apps\ARM. From 9.1, RVCT 2.2 can be used.
    ActivePerl Version 5.6.1 installed to C:\apps\Perl.

Under » Symbian OS v9.3 » Symbian OS build guide » Build Tools Guide » The emulator build targets » Microsoft Visual Studio support:

To use Visual Studio .NET2003:

Start a command line prompt

Run the Visual Studio environment configuration batch file, vsvars32.bat, which is part of your Visual Studio installation. This ensures that the necessary Visual Studio environment variables are set up.

Change directory to the directory that contains your program's bld.inf file, and use the following commands:
    > bldmake bldfiles
    > abld makefile vs2003 [project-name]

The vs2003 argument here specifies to the tools that Visual Studio .NET2003 files should be produced. The project name is optional. If it is not mentioned, Visual Studio files are created for all projects specified in the bld.inf file.

These commands create a Visual Studio solution file (.sln) file generated under the kit's epoc32\build\<SOURCE_PATH>\<PROJECT_NAME>\WINSCW directory. For example, if the kit is installed in \Symbian\9.2\, and the project is helloworld, then the .sln file is created in the directory \Symbian\9.2\epoc32\build\src\helloworld\helloworld\winscw.

The solution file can then be opened in the IDE, and the project built and debugged from there.
    To both build the project and create the workspace, use the commands:
    > bldmake bldfiles
    > abld build vs2003 [udeb | urel] [project-name]

The vs2003 platform can optionally be added to the prj_platforms section in the bld.inf file. If this is done, abld commands will use the vs2003 target without it being explictly specified.

I just tried this with a clean new install of only the DevKit to a new Windows XP desktop and still got the same errors when compiling.

The funny thing is that for emulator build there should be the Nokia's compiler included in the DevKit, as stated by the documentation:

"The underlying compiler used for the Visual Studio support is the Nokia x86 standalone compiler, version 3.2.3. This compiler is provided on Symbian OS kits in the epoc32 tree under epoc32/tools/nokia_compiler/. Note that the C++ compiler supplied with Microsoft Visual Studio itself is not used."

Finally got this to work, so afterall the emulator x86 build is possible with just the DevKit and VS2003.

I checked my system's path environment variables and they seemed to be quite messed up. Probably because I've been installing and uninstalling a lot of software on this laptop. Did a manual cleanup by removing many unnecessary entries and cleaned up some of the paths and now the compiling works. This doesn't explain why I couldn't get that to work on the other desktop machine though. I was quite agitated from all the trouble I had gone through so probably wasn't in the right state of mind :)