Discussion Board

Http Connection & SNAP Mobile

In technical documents ,it is said that SNAP Mobile client communicates to server with HTTP protocol.
    But in MIDP2.0 devices, connection problems occur if default APN is WAP APN I wonder if same problem occurs when SNAP Mobile Client attempts to connect server ?
    Do I have to change to Internet APN manually again ?

Thanx
    Guvenc

Re: Http Connection & SNAP Mobile

Hi Guvenc,
    i want to know that to, apart from that i want to know what is the way to select default APN name from an application.

thanks
    sateesh

Hi,

SM is not only HTTP, you could select other protocols.
    Use ServerComm.getSupportedProtocols() to get list of all supported protocols.
    And Construct ServerComm with the selected protocol.

Concerning APN, you can't select it in J2ME. on some phones, when you begin a request, a system dialog gives you the choice for that.

Regarding WAP APN, you could use HTTP requests on top of it, but it depends on carriers policies.

Best,

Mik

Hello,

If I understand the question correctly, are you wondering about the case where:
    1) A user runs a networked MIDlet, and upon the first network request a list of APN access points is shown, and the user must select one
    2) If the the user selects the wrong one, then networking will not function within the MIDlet

Is your question:
    - is there any way to show the list again if the user chooses the wrong APN the first time?
    - is there any way to configure the MIDlet to automatically choose the "correct" APN for the user?

If this is your question, I believe the answer is:
    - It is not possible to force J2ME to show the list again -- once an APN is selected, J2ME will try to use this APN for all connections from within the MIDlet session. The only way to choose a different APN is to exit the MIDlet and run it again.
    - It is not possible to configure a MIDlet to use a particular APN by default.

Unfortunately, this means that the end user must choose the correct APN each and every time they run the MIDlet, or the MIDlet will not be able to make network requests within that session.

:\

Here is another post on what I believe is the same question you are asking, with some discussion about the issues:

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...t=apn+settings

Hope this helps.
    If this was not your question, I may be able to help answer more accurately if you restate it again.

Thanks,
    Sam

Thank you for the answer

I wonder if APN is wrong APN (Wap APN not Internet APN), does Snap Client fail to connect to server?

Thank you again

some hints:
    - Try to change port from 8080 to 80 (take care of HttpServer conflict), on server and jad configuration.
    - Also there is a SnapCompatibility tool to test HTTP/TCP in SM1.2, that could help (Http uses port 80)

Mik

If APN auto-configure is impossible from the MIDlet, then would it be possible to implement it on the phone's native system? Can Nokia do it?

Cheers,
    Sunho