Discussion Board

Nokia 6280 - Signing Problem

Hi,
    I am trying to install a signed MIDlet (Nokia 6280) which uses FileConnection API. The MIDlet is signed with a Verisign certificate.
    The MIDlet installs fine, but when I go to "Application Access" screen, I get an "Invalid application" error.
    I was able to install and run the same MIDlet successfully on the 6230i.

The Jad and Manifest match. Any idea what causes the problem?
    Also, when installing an unsigned MIDlet (which again uses FileConnection API), in 6230i the "One Shot" option is available but in 6280 only the "not allowed" option is available. Is there a change in the protection domain policy?

Best Regards,
    Avi

Super Contributor

Re: Nokia 6280 - Signing Problem

Avi, looks like the Nokia 6280 phones does not contain the specific Verisign certificate you used to sign your midlet (or then the certificate is not set to allow midlet signing). You can see the list of the certificates by going to Setings->Security->Authority certiuficates->Certificate list. You can see the certificate details by pressing View and you can see (and possibly change) the allowed use for that certificate by pressing Options->Select use

Did you install both jad and jar files on both phones? If yes, the above seems to be the reason. If no, have you checked that the jar file size on the jad-file is correct.

Some carriers/operators have a little different security settings. This could be the reason why the available options are different.

Hartti

Hi Hartti,
    The phone does have the Verisign root certificate and it is set to allow MIDlet signing.
    I have a simle http MIDlet which I am able to sign and run it successfully on the 6280. The problem appears when I add the FileConnection permissions to the Jad and Manifest.

jar file size on the jad-file is correct and yes I install both jad and jar (via bluetooth).

Avi

Super Contributor

Avi, can you email me the jad and jad file so I could test?

Hartti

How can I post attachments ?

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Mizrahi
    I install both jad and jar (via bluetooth).
    Try it via HTTP. The Bluetooth way for JAD on Series 40 3rd Edition is a bit obscure – I have not understood it, yet.

Super Contributor

traud, if you want to install jar and jad files on S40 3rd Edition devices over bluetooth, just transfer both files to the device. If the jad is correct it is installed "over" the correspoding jar file. Order of transfer does not matter.

Hartti

Well, I do this, however, Nokia Series 40 3rd Edition does not overwrite older versions of the same MIDlet JAR. However, the new JAD is used (sometimes) for all JARs present on the phone, sometimes for the older one, only … and so on. I have not debugged this to create a qualifying bug report, yet.

Nevertheless, on Nokia Series 40 3rd Edition the JAD over Bluetooth bahaviour is irritating and might be the problem here. Just an idea …

Super Contributor

traud, I always delete the midlet before installing new version over it. Seems like I am too cautious here and that's why I have not experienced this problem :-)

Thanks for pointing this out, have to check this later.
    Hartti