Discussion Board

Do u think Nokia 3G phone support File Upload???

Hi,

I think most Nokia 3G mobile phone dont support File upload such as model like 6682, N70, n80, n90 ,6280 and other same 3G category phone.

Even though these 3G phone support Html version 4.0 but they dont support File upload. Why??

I hope someone in this forum can help us and to verify this. Is there a solution from Nokia?

I hope to find out that it is all Nokia 3G mobile phone using Opera browser?

The only mobile phone that supports this Is Sony Ericsson w-series. for PDA-phone , there are Dopod and Hp and others that run on window mobile v.5.0

please help

Re: Do u think Nokia 3G phone support File Upload???

Check if the phone supports the Multipart mime type headers in either its UAprof or in it's HTTP-ACCEPT header.

N70 & N90 supports - multipart/mixed , application/vnd.wap.multipart.mixed , application/vnd.wap.multipart.related

N80 supports - multipart/mixed

6280 supports - application/multipart.mixed

6682 supports - multipart/mixed , application/vnd.wap.multipart.related

I'm not 100% about this mime type 'application/vnd.wap.multipart.related', but mulitpart/mixed supports mixed stream data.

You may also want to check for application/octet-stream and also ensure your server is setup to accept these mime types.

What makes you think these don't support upload?? What errors are you getting??
    Last edited by SimonThomas; 2006-07-04 at 14:04.

Hi Simon,
    Thank for your input. Sorry to answer back so late.

assume this is true:

N70 & N90 supports - multipart/mixed , application/vnd.wap.multipart.mixed , application/vnd.wap.multipart.related
    N80 supports - multipart/mixed
    6280 supports - application/multipart.mixed
    6682 supports - multipart/mixed , application/vnd.wap.multipart.related

How to use this MIME : application/octet-stream ?

These are the normal MIME :

Extension MIME
    ---------- -------------

.3gpp video/3gpp
    .mid,.midi audio/midi
    .jpg Image/jpeg

Once the file extension is detected as above, the corresponding MIME will be used. So when I need to use this application/octet-stream?

why SonyEricsson can support MIME such as video/3gpp or Image/Jpeg without using application/octet-stream.

I used this MIME image/Jpeg for camera photo and send with SonyEricsson W550i to my PC with no problem thru mobile web. But when I used the above nokia phone, I can not receive the camera photo and it took very long time to send...! I tried a few time, same problem... it seems it has sent but I can not receive it with my PC.

please help if you know the problem..
    Last edited by DancingWave; 2006-07-25 at 07:07.

.3gpp video/3gpp
    .mid,.midi audio/midi
    .jpg Image/jpeg
    Those mime types mean the device can accept/handle those particular mime/file types.

multipart/mixed mime type means the device can POST multipart form data, standard post data as well as streamed binary data from say an image file.

application/octet-stream again means the device can handle the streaming of binary data to or from a server as in upload or download.

So theoretically if the device claims to support multipart form data mime types or binary streaming it should be able to upload binary data from any file stored on the device.

Hope that helps.

Hi Simon,

Thank you for the info. Let me explain further:

This info is for most of nokia high end 3G mobile phone technical info for Browser:
    -----
    WAP 2.0 XHTML/HTML multimode browser
    Improved Web compatibility with support for HTML 4.01, including support for elements such as image maps, background images, and frames
    Support for a subset of JavaScript 1.5, which includes the most commonly used functions found on the Internet
    File upload over HTTP using standard HTML forms
    -------

It says it support Http file upload using Standard Html form of Html 4.01

In my web Form, I add in of of these Enctype :

multipart/mixed
    application/multipart.mixed

and the upload button.

The nokia phone with above technical spects wont upload the file as I can not receive the file as attachment to my Email Address. To confirm nothing wrong with my web form, I upload the file with Sonyericsson w550i, I can receive the file.

Now, please help me :

1. How to detect the Multipart/mixed using server obj of http.

2. What could be the problem if above 3g phone support File Upload but can not upload??

3. How to detect the file upload is using application/octect-stream?

Thanks.

Hi,

Firstly you need to find out if a user visiting you site has a device capable of uploading files before you render the file upload button on the page.

So you need some kind of device profiling.
    You could use DetectRight from www.uaprofile.com, or Wurfl from http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/ or you own detection system.

If your going to detect yourself you need to check the HTTP headers coming in from the device, or its UAprof file.
    If those mime types i mentioned above (Multipart/mixed, application/octet-stream etc..) are in either the HTTP-ACCEPT headers or in the UAprof Accept Types then the phone should support file upload.

Once you've decided if the device supports uploads, then you can render the file upload button on the form otherwise display a message to the user informing them no upload support is available.

The Mime types DONT go in the form, your ENCTYPE should be enctype="multipart/form-data" for forms with a file upload.

If a phone does support upload, and it's not working, it could be a number of issues,
    Either
    1) network work problems,
    2) You server has a limited POST size which needs increasing,
    3) You servers max upload size needs increasing,
    3) Your server isn't configured for those mime types,
    4) Your Form isn't setup correctly.

I can tell you for a fact the N70,N80,N91 support file upload as we've succesfully uploaded videos and images from those devices.
    Last edited by SimonThomas; 2006-07-26 at 16:05.

Hi,

Thank. appreciate your help. Now, need to confirm the following :

1. To detect what enctype use by the Upload function of the mobile browser:

a) default type : application/x-www-form-urlencoded

b) Newer type : multipart/form-data

This can be detected using the code :

String acceptHeader = request.getHeader("accept");

if (acceptHeader.indexOf("application/x-www-form-urlencode") != -1)
    --- goto the upload page
    else if (acceptHeader.indexOf("multipart/form-data") != -1)
    --- goto the upload page
    else
    response.write("Your mobile phone does not support upload..")

Question :

Q1.which one a or b is used by latest 3G nokia phone.
    Q2. both can be used by latest 3G nokia phone

2) To detect if the mobile support upload ;

String acceptHeader = request.getHeader("accept");

if (acceptHeader.indexOf("multipart/mixed") != -1

if (acceptHeader.indexOf("application/multipart.mixed") != -1

Is this correct?

2Q1: Are these inside the header :multipart/mixed,application/multipart.mixed?

You mean if these Not In the header, this means the mobile phone not support Upload function.

N70,N80,N90 support upload. Thank for the confirmation.

By the way, My Post or Max size for the server is 4MB. It is good enough for any camera photo size..!

I will check again.

Hi DC,

Q1)
    The Enctype is not in the headers.
    You decide the Enctype of the form based of the data type the form is submiting to the server.

If you've got a file input button in your form, you'll need to set the Enctype to multipart/form-data.
    Otherwise you don't really need an Enctype on a form if your submiting text data, unless your form method is 'GET' in which you'd use application/x-www-form-urlencoded.

For your upload form you will always use 'multipart/form-data' and method 'POST'.

Q2)
    You could do it something along those lines.

Is this for a small private project, or a commercial solution?

Hi ST,

Actually, I used all what we mentioned here : form , post method and multipart/form-data and the required detections. now, I even used the Http Data compression to speed up as well as using chunck for large file size.

Thank for your help. This is my own mobile application which I use to contact my friends where I am so they can share my moments of joys and fun.

I tried a few of the nokia model, it seems they dont work. However, sonyericsson w-series have no problem for using my mobile app under the same condition such as Max Lenght, Chunck, network and other . I will try to detect Nokia 3G for the cases we mentioned.

Thanks. I really appreciate your help.

Hey guys,

Can you please help me finding any list of the phones that do not support file-upload. I mean, is their any technical distinction which will tell us that this phone will not support file-upload, before having practical test.

Regards,
    Sadrul Alam