Discussion Board

Lightbulb Import\Export Project Problem in Carbide

Hello my Fellow Developers,

After using Carbide Express for more then 2 Months, I feel as if a Lifetime has passed and that a lot has been learnt from this fascinating tool. However, there has been one issue that has been bugging me for quite some time and I would like to see if some one has faced similar issues or, better yet, found a better solution then mine.

How can anyone transfer his\her project to another computer or save different versions of his project in Carbide Express. To be more explicit, I have created a project in Carbide and keep saving my progress. I do this by either exporting as an archive or as a filesystem. the problem comes when I wish to bring my saved work back into Carbide!!!

I know Project specefication files are not supported (such as mmp files, cant wait for that improvemnt to come along in carbide). The only way I have been able to load my projects back in with different names is by the following steps

1 Open a simple Hello world Project
    2. Delet all files in the project ( such as *.cpp,*.hrh,*.loc,*.rss ,*.h etc)
    3. Now import your previous version
    4. Go into the properties and add all libraries needed ( this step really s*cks )

And so I have my prject loaded back in Carbide Express....Whew. this definitly is in-efficient and cumbersome. Kind of leaves a sour taste after all the sweetness Carbide has given to us!!!.

So if anyone finds this way helpful, he is most welcome . And if anyone has a better way then kindly post it here for everyone else.

Finally, when is Carbide Developer coming out. Any Beta testing going on in which I could take part.

Mohsin

Nokia Developer Expert

Post Re: Import\Export Project Problem in Carbide

I alwasy maintain my projects .mmp file with the correct project information. i.e. if changes are required i modify the .mpp and re-import. I never add libraries etc in carbide explcitly. This means I can move to any currently supported tools ie. Codewarrior or Crabide with ease.

Hope this helps

Re: Import\Export Project Problem in Carbide

Thank You...that definitly a great way of doing it.

However, there is an issue with that particular method. You cant import the same project with different names on the same computer. So for intance if i wanted to place the same project on my computer with a different name so i can make hanges to it and keep a seperate version, i cant do that with that aprticular way.

Mohsin.

Nokia Developer Expert

I just delete the old carbide project before creating a new one from the modfied mmp. It would be nice if the delete happened automatically if you choose.

Nokia Developer Expert

Good point. I've added being able to overwrite existing projects when importing as a feature request. It might make it into a future release.

Regards,

Matt P.