Discussion Board

Read from socket never blocking

We have an application that consists of three threads: one for the GUI, one that listens on a SocketConnection and one that every now and then sends messages out on the same SocketConnection.

The read thread calls read(buffer, offset, length) which I would expect to either return some data or block, as the connection is always open.

Instead the read never blocks. It either returns data or returns a -1 length. If I loop on the read statement then it will continue returning -1 until some more data arrives and will then return that. It is almost as if the -1 is saying there is no data available. Eventually after receiving a few messages it will then throw an exception as if it has lost the connection.

I have tried the same code using a single byte read() call and the behaviour is the same.

Can anyone see where I am going wrong here? Is it simply impossible to hold open a SocketConnection and receive messages on it every now and then? Could it be that sending messages on the same socket is somehow getting in the way of the reads?

Super Contributor

Re: Read from socket never blocking

hi,

can you compare your code with e.g. sample chat midlet posted here ("Network examples")?
    http://itp.nyu.edu/~dbo3/cgi-bin/Cla...HelloCellPhone
    (midlet+socket)
    regards,
    Peter

Hmmm, it seems very similar to the way I am doing things.

The difference is that a -1 is handled as a closed connection. But I seem to get -1 returned from my read calls when ever there is no data in the buffer.

I will study the code in more detail to see if I can see any other differences.

Thanks for the reply!

To add to the fun it appears this problem is very much device specific. Reading a byte at a time works fine on Series 60 phones, but does not work at all on Series 40 ones.

If I read in chunks of bytes then it works for a little while on Series 40 but then throws an exception as if the socket was closed.