Discussion Board

Code Warrior: Does not generate a SIS file.

I'm having a problem where CodeWarrior is not generating a SIS file. The project type I'm building for is GCCE UDEB.

The project builds okay, it also links fine. But there is no SIS file in my C:\ directory. Can anyone explain why the SIS file is not being created? Thanks.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Code Warrior: Does not generate a SIS file.

Can you explain what settings you have ? What messages you get at build time and where exactly do you expect the sis file ?

You may need to tweak the target setting a little bit otherwise the sis file might be created under %EPOCROOT%\EPOC32\BUILD\[SOME_[LONG_]PATH]\...

I followed the directions for setting up On Device Debugging according to a PDF I found on the Nokia website. If you read this, you will know exactly what settings I have. If a specific setting is not mentioned in the document, then the setting is set to the default which is applied after importing an MMP file.

If you would like specific settings, could you please request them? I'm not really sure what settings you'd be interested in. Thank you for the help.

I made a post on DENIS about this issue, but they haven't given an answer yet.

I will quote the DENIS case here, to provide more detail:

I'm using Codewarrior 3.1.1 for the on-device debugging functionality on N71 phones.

The problem I'm having is that even though the project compiles and links perfectly fine with no errors, a SIS package is not generated. I have downloaded a PDF online which gives step-by-step instructions on how to setup the CodeWarrior IDE & Project for on-device debugging, but I face two problems that hault development:

1) Using the build platform GCCE UDEB, no SIS file is generated after the executable is linked. I do not sign the SIS file (to keep things simple), so that I can see if I at least can get an unsigned SIS to create. The "Content Search Location" and "Output Location" fields of the Symbian Installation options page are set to the default, which is "C:\". The sis package name is "Application.sis". Signed SIS file is unchecked.

2) When I attempt to start remote debugging, I get the following error message:

"MetroTrkProtocolPlugin : Failed to load the specified program to the target".

I believe this error message is a result of the SIS file not being created in the first place. I suspect that once problem #1 is solved, this should be resolved as well. I am mentioning this problem so that I can give as much detail as possible.
    I would appreciate anyone helping me out with this. I am completely stumped and I cannot continue debugging until this issue is resolved. I'm a bit pressed for time.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by MethodSolutions; 2006-07-18 at 00:24.

Nokia Developer Expert

I'm looking into this for you and will update you when I have more information for you. Also, which SDK are you using?

Nokia Developer Moderator

In CodeWarrior 3.1.1 the MMP import wizard includes a installer settings page and the generated project should create a sis for the selected target build (or list some makesis errors). On success the sis file is placed in the {Project} folder, i.e. where your *.mcp file is.

With older CodeWarrior versions and/or if you use the Edit->"Re-import Symbian project ..." command (which does not "re-import" installer related files and settings) the responsibility of teaching the tool to generate a sis file is yours. See CodeWarrior's help for details about the Symbian installer plugin...

So, do you see a *.pkg file in your CodeWarrior project tree ? If not add one through Project->"Add files ..."

Once the file added switch to the target that you intend to use for debug (e.g. GCCE UDEB) and verify that the pkg is included in the build: there should be a black dot in the target column of the Files tab. If there isn't one you must put it there (click in the column to turn it on/off) otherwise the file will not be processed and therefore there will be no sis.

Open the target specific settings and configure the software installer. The "content search location" is the equivalent of makesis's "-d" option. The file can be generated anywhere in PC's file system (C:\ means PC's drive root and not SDK emulator's C:\ drive).

Build, watch the progress window for a "Symbian Installer" stage and the output window for the makesis errors. Fix the errors if any, rebuild and eventually you will get to the point of having a sis file.

For the "On device debugging" part
    - the "host path for sis file" must reflect the actual location where the project is generated. By default (after MMP import that is) the sis file is to be generated in {Project} therefore the host path is set as "{Project}\application_name.sis". If you modify the path where the installer generates the file you also need to modify the host path for TRK
    - {Project} ends with \ so the above mentioned path construction is wrong, you will need to remove the \ thus having "{Project}application_name.sis"

HTH,

I am assuming you have plced the application's .pkg file in the project in CodeWarrior

Super Contributor

Hi skornel is right,

.pkg file missing is probably your problem. It's stupid -bacause there is no error message, but when .pkg file is not part of the project the sis file generation process is not started - even if you configure all other things according to the pdf manual you mentioned:)))

Best regards,
    STeN

can anyone please guide me how to generate the .pkg file for hellowworld example on code warrior..

the problem is now resolved...