Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Nokia N80 SIP calls over WLAN

Trying to make a sip call using an N80 is a confusing proposition. I've read in places that SIP is a) supported b)not fully supported c)supported but unavailable due to configuration issues on some networks. Which is it? When I try to call the registered N80 phone from a PC client I'm getting a 488 error returned from the phone. I interpret this as meaning the phone cannot handle the codecs proposed or more likely the call over WLAN itself.

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...hlight=n80+sip
    suggests that I'd have to write an application to do this using the C++ API, however as they say the RTP headers and libs don't seem to be available? There doesn't seem to be an official Nokia statement on their intentions regarding SIP for the N80 which makes it risky to start development on an N80 SIP app if there's an official one in the pipeline. Can anyone shed some light on this for me ?

Super Contributor

Re: Nokia N80 SIP calls over WLAN

I had no problems to use SIP over WLAN when I borrowed an N80.

Without further information about your hardware and software configuration it´s hard to say what is wrong, but these are some things that might cause problems:

1. You might have the wrong configuration in your sip.conf file.
    2. The UDP port for SIP signalling aren´t opened.
    3. Your operating system (server) doesn´t support the voice codec that the phone is using (G.729)

I have a similar question... Is the Nokia N80 compatible with VOIP SIP as well? How does one then implement such a system in C. How does one capture the voice from the phone mic? Is there some type of library or driver that is available to do this?

My phone is behind a NAT firewall. But when it registers on sipgate.co.uk it is registering with a local address and not the router address. Any ideas?

Can anybody post a configuration description to use the N80´s SIP stack with a public VoIP provider?
    There´s no SIP / VoIP client like in the E60/E61 but some are telling here that they were able to make a connection...

I´m behind an Intertex sip-aware router (so you don´t have NAT problems, don´t need STUN, ICE or any other stuff like this), so that shouldn´t be the problem...

Hello,

I tried to configure the N80 to use Voice over WLAN. I live in France and I am behind a modem/router called Freebox.
    I succeeded in configuring the SIP mode on the N80 and had a status registered. but the thing is that I can't make any calls using WLAN. It seems that the SIp stack is present but the client hasn't been developped...

A Nokia statement on this issue would be welcome...

Could someone from Nokia please post full and complete step-by-step instructions for configuring and using the N80 for SIP calls ?

What about video support?
    It's possible to make a video call using SIP?

Using the SDK can I work with RTC/RTP and SIP?

Thanks

Well if you want to give this sip software a trial, it works with sip calls on the n80, but the only problems is that you can only call people using the same software or call people with their ip address. www.sillyant.com Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by David91107
    Could someone from Nokia please post full and complete step-by-step instructions for configuring and using the N80 for SIP calls ?
    And like ippfvoip I have same problem with my brand new N80. I have SIP settings but no dial client.

Have done reading on the E60 and came to conclusion that my N80 is missing the dial client.

Here is what I have:
    Connections>SIP Settings
    Profile name: SIP
    Service profile: IETF
    Default access point: 64.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Public user name: 4002@64.xxx.xxx.xxx
    User compression: No
    User security: No
    Proxy server: sip:64.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Realm: 64.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Username: 4002@64.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Allow loose routing: Yes
    Transport type: UDP
    Port: 5060
    Registrar server address: sip:64.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Realm: 64.xxx.xxx.xxx
    User name: 4002@64.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Password: ****
    Transport type: UDP
    Port: 5060

That is the end of my SIP configuration. On the E60 I would probably have to use the Internet tel. settings next to add the calling number. I am missing this piece, I am very sure. Under Connections settings I have:
    Access points
    Packet data
    SIP settings
    Wireless LAN
    Configurations

If anyone can assist on how I can add the dialing client I will appreciate it greatly.

Eric
    eric@blueziro.com

Reading this thread it claims there is a client on the N80

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=94759

"Additionally, developers should note that there is already a full duplex Nokia VoIP client that ships with three S60 3rd Edition devices: the Nokia N80 multimedia device, Nokia E61 enterprise device, and Nokia N95 multimedia computer. VoIP service providers can simply configure this Nokia VoIP client to work with their SIP servers by manually configuring the settings, sending the OMA DM settings over SMS or creating an application that configures the Nokia client."

DeadKenny, thanks for the post...opened up a lot more worms :-))!! Now found out that there is also an N80 internet version compared to the regular N80. So far have not been able to find anything on the N80 internet version.

Also read Nokia Ron's links on setting up the N80 for SIP VoIP call. I definitely do not have all the capabilities on the N80, meaning I don't have capabilities on my N80 to follow some of the settings:Internet call waiting, preferred telephony, VoIP CLIP/CLIR, DND, VoIP codecs in preferred order, NAT/Firewall traversal settings...

Lastly, how do I find out if I have the latest VoIP Release (2.0) on the phone?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by natcire
    DeadKenny, thanks for the post...opened up a lot more worms :-))!! Now found out that there is also an N80 internet version compared to the regular N80. So far have not been able to find anything on the N80 internet version.
    As I understand it the difference between the Internet version and the old N80 is just in firmware and software. The Internet version is essentially a relaunch of the phone so that it can be marketed with more useful stuff out of the box, I suspect (maybe explains why Orange dropped the N80 from their line up too after such a short time). It appears it may have more or complete SIP/VoIP support.

There are claims that people have loaded the Internet firmware on the old N80 successfully, but these people work for or know people at Nokia. There's nothing officially available as far as I know, but maybe a future version of the firmware will provide the missing functionality. I really hope Nokia don't force customers to buy a new phone when it's not required.

Lastly, how do I find out if I have the latest VoIP Release (2.0) on the phone?
    I've no idea I'm afraid.

Super Contributor

As I understand it the difference between the Internet version and the old N80 is just in firmware and software.

Absolutely correct.

There are claims that people have loaded the Internet firmware on the old N80 successfully, but these people work for or know people at Nokia.

I don´t have any N80 to test with but, from the beginning Nokia told that it wasn´t possible to update N80 to Internet Edition, but I have heard that some people has got that version installed when they were suppose to only upgrade the firmware version with Nokia Software Updater.

Some people over at other forums also has guides how to update N73 to N73 Music Edition, so I guess it should be possible to do the same with N80 (But be aware!!, you might loose the warranty of the phone if you´re doing something like changing the product code of the device).

With N80 Internet Edition you can download a SIP client from Gizmo project with the Download! application in the phone to use VoIP via SIP protocol. http://s60.blogg.se/291106132343_giz..._n80_inte.html

"Additionally, developers should note that there is already a full duplex Nokia VoIP client that ships with three S60 3rd Edition devices: the Nokia N80 multimedia device, Nokia E61 enterprise device, and Nokia N95 multimedia computer. VoIP service providers can simply configure this Nokia VoIP client to work with their SIP servers by manually configuring the settings, sending the OMA DM settings over SMS or creating an application that configures the Nokia client."

I doubt the above is correct.

According to my understanding the original N80 didn´t ship with any VoIP client, but only a SIP-client (which cant be used for VoIP). However you can use VoIP with N80 from any SIP provider if they provide a VoIP-client for the phone.

E60, E61 and E70 did all ship with a VoIP client, at least in Europe...

Please correct me if I´m wrong...

Super Contributor

As you know, E61 has the Voice of IP (VoIP) functionality built in. Providing the right configuration, this phone can make Internet calls. I have successfully configured the SIP settings for my E61, and VoIP works on the device.

My question is: is there any API at all (public / privileged) that allows me to interact and control the VoIP to make an Internet call? For regular voice calls, I can use CTelephony provided by the SDK to dial a number, put conversation on hold, etc. However, there are no references to Internet Call from the Symbian S60 3rd SDK. I'd like to ask the experts there: Is there any Nokia proprietary API that allows me to dial a SIP address or pickup an incoming Internet call?

By the way, there is this CTelephony::EstablishDataCall(), what exact is a 'data call'?

Cheers
    mayank