Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Location on E60

Question Location on E60

Hello!

we are developing a midlet-servlet application using JSR 179 Location API and now we are using an E60. After trying (without success) my location midlet, I installed "TouristRoute.jar" which (behaves in a different way but) still gives an error: "Provider state: Not valid location data - Proximity monitoring: Waiting..." because of this (I think): "Nessun dispositivo Bluetooth trovato (No Bluetooth device found)". Is it possible to make the midlet work even without using a Bluetooth device ?

I took a glance at the source code and I think I did not see a way to change some settings in order to evoid Bluetooth. How can I solve the problem using internal phone location devices and not an external one ?

Thank you in advance, regards Carlo Bartolomeo

Super Contributor

Re: Location on E60

What internal device you are planning to use? As the E60 does not have built-in GPS, it tries to find a bluetooth GPS module and gives the error message you described if no suitable one is found. The other solution would be to use location information provided by the oprator/carrier.

Hartti

Lightbulb Re: Location on E60

Thank you Hartti !

I will try to develop an approach as you suggested, I do really hope that the Java APIs supported by E60 will allow to get these informations.

Thank you again. Carlo Bartolomeo

Regular Contributor

At least here in Finland you are required to make a special agreement with your operator in order to receive location information from the operator.

Red face Re: Location on E60

Dear Sir,

in the meanwhile I read some documentation, also at

http://www.iminfo.fr/J2ME/locationAP....html#features

where I found that a "location.config" is needed and that is what I did. I wrote these lines

locationMethod: 0x00000008
    horizontalAccuracy: 100

( I have not yet informed my provider that I need GSM location information ) so the midlet gives a "not handled exception". Before entering the burocracy of a GSM-provider, can I be sure that those Java lines are correct and they should work as soon as the operator/carrier gives me the xy-GSM-coordinates ?

I still have a doubt: in Java I have not found a method, with "setHorizontalAccuracy(...)" ... let's say, "setLocationMethod(...)" so I think there are two possibilities:

1 ) - the midlet, as it is, correctly reads the location Method and the Accuracy from "location.config", but gives an error because the operator/carrier-side is not working

2 ) - the midlet should need an instruction, that I do not know, in order to read those configuration lines, so the error is simply given by the fact that I ask the midlet to get informations, the midlet does not read "Cell-ID" and takes the default Method via Bluetooth, I press the button to avoid Bluetooth and the midlet gives an error ( really the earlier situation ).

I hope the problem is expressed in clear terms and I hope that you will be able to write an answer as soon as it is possible. Thank you all in advance. Carlo Bartolomeo

Question Re: Location on E60

Dear Sir,

one minute ago at

http://www.blackberry.com/developers...erry_gps.shtml

I found

" ...

Method:
    Location.getLocationMethod

Syntax:

int getLocationMethod()

Description:

Returns information about the location method used. The returned value is a bitwise combination (OR) of the method technology, method type and assistance information. The method technology values are defined as constant values named MTE_* in this class, the method type values are named MTY_* and assistance information values are named MTA_*.

For example, if the location method used is device based, network assisted Enhanced Observed Time Difference (E-OTD), the following value would be returned:

0x00050002 ( = MTY_TERMINALBASED | MTA_ASSISTED
    | MTE_TIMEDIFFERENCE)

If the location is determined by combining several location technologies, the returned value may have several MTE_* bits set.

If the used location method is unknown, the returned value may have all the bits set to zero.

Only bits that have defined constants within this class are allowed to be used. Other bits are reserved and must be set to 0.

... "

Is it a standard Java JSR-179 method or just a Blackberry method ?

Best regards.

Super Contributor

hi Carlo,

it's within standard Java JSR-179 Location api (javax.microedition.location.Location),

regards,
    Peter

Question Re: Location on E60

Thank you Peter,

let me say I am sorry, yesterday I wrote about "getLocationMethod" is a real hurry so I did not realize it was "get" and not "set", "set" is what I am interested to, because I think I need something like "setLocationMethod" to tell the midlet to search through GSM-carrier and not through GPS-Bluetooth. As I said previously, what I am trying to understand is this: the configuration file "location.config" contains the line "locationMethod: 0x00000008".
    Now has this line the magic power to "set" the midlet without those Java instructions which read a "config" file ??????????
    Well I guess (and hope) yes, otherwise if THOSE instructions were required ( let us say, a variable "nMethod" would contain the numeric value taken from the config file ) then also the instruction "oLocation.setLocationMethod(nMethod);" would be required !
    After this, I do hope I have explained the problem in a clearer way than before and I do hope there is an answer to this. Best regards, Carlo

Super Contributor

Carlo,
    When you use Location API you ask the system to provide you with a LocationProvider instance with LocationProvider.getInstance(Criteria) factory method. The system tries to choose a best fit to the Criteria provided to the method call.

From that LocationProvider instance you can get location information (objects) and from those objects you can ask what was the locationing technology used (with getLocationMethod()). You cannot set this property.

So the way to control what location method is used is defining a suitable Criteria to be passed to the LocationProvider.getInstance() method.

Does this answer your question?

Hartti

Smile Re: Location on E60

Thank you hartti !

your reply has clearified a lot, at present I am trying with "cbs://:nnnnn" and I will tell you when ( and if :-) ) everything is ready and going OK ! Thank you again, carlo

Super Contributor

hi carlo,
    just to clarify things for a lammer like me you are trying to implement CBS message adapeter with JSR-205 to get cell info, arent' you?
    regards,
    Peter

Good morning Peter,

Yes, I am tying to use "Wireless Messaging API (WMA); JSR 120, JSR 205" in order to get cell info from the provider. I hope it is a successful method, at least when Bluetooth-GPRS are not available. I will tell you. Best regards. Carlo

Super Contributor

Carlo, what exactly are ýou trying to use CBS for?

for information about CBS see for example
    http://wireless.agilent.com/rfcomms/..._broadcast.php

Hartti

Hi Hartti ! Thank you for your help, it can be useful indeed for the things I am doing, that is receiving cell informations from the provider through cbs, when GPS-Bluetooth technology is not available. I will post a new thread as well about Photo Shooting with 6630. Best regards, Carlo

Angry Re: Location on E60

Hello !

I am proceeding a bit slowly in cbs-testing and also I am afraid it will give a very large approximation. However I think gsm is still a good source for location, provided that the right informations arrive to the client phone. At http://www.openmobilealliance.org/te.../lifindex.html I read some interesting lines which I quote:
    "A general description of location services to be tested and the service requirements is given in the specification 3GPP TS 02.71. By measuring radio signals the capability to determine the geographic location of the mobile station (MS) shall be provided. The location information may be requested by and reported to a client (application) associated with the MS, or by a client within or attached to the Core Network.
    Four positioning mechanisms are supported in LCS release 98/99 standards: CellID+Timing Advance (TA), Enhanced Observed Time Difference (E-OTD), Uplink Time of Arrival (TOA), and Global Positioning System (GPS) 3GPP TS 03.71"
    Now I ask: is it possible to read these information within a Java midlet ?????? I read something not encouraging at all about it !!!! ( " ... to get the tower ID and the network ID withouth the use of a GPS device. I know for sure that this is not possible within J2ME for so many reasons ... " from http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp...67085&start=15). Thank you in advance to you all, expecially to those who will reply of course ! Carlo