Discussion Board

where do i start when programing in the SDK

I want to know 2 things:
    1) where do i start programing in SDK 60 series for a nokia 7650, and i don't understand when i will use API's and when i will use visual C++?
    2) i want to know, if i attach a bluetooth adapter to allow the computer to be bluetooth enabled, can i simulate bluetooth on the mobile phone nokia 7650??

Regular Contributor

RE: where do i start when programing in the SDK

1. To get comfortable with Symbian programming, it is good to take simple applications like Hello World, compile them and see how they work.
    You can also see the SDK help: Symbian OS v6.1 Edition for C++ Developer's Guide to get started.
    There are also some courses offered on Symbian and Series 60 programming.
    Most of what your application does is through the Symbian APIs and the framework.

2. Bluetooth in Nokia 7650 can communicate with bluetooth enabled computers in data connection. There are four Bluetooth examples in the Series 60 SDK.

Developer Support
    Forum Nokia

RE: where do i start when programing in the SDK

Hi
    Here is a more detailed answer to your first question. I cant answer follow your second one because I am a newbie. Please follow it step by step:

There are a few things that you should care about like, install MS VC++ frist and SDK after, check that MS VC (optionally with Service Pack3 or above) and SDK 3.0 for C++ installed correctly. Follow these steps:

1. Open the directory...\Symbian\6.1\Series60\Series60Tools\ApplicationWizard\ and copy the files:
    AvkonAppWiz.awx
    AVKONAPPWIZ.HLP
    to
    ...\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MsDev98\Template directory.

2. Start VC and open File/New dialog. On "Projects" tab you should
    find "Nokia Series 60 AppWizard" item. Select it.

3. Specify project name and press OK. (e.g. abc)
    Try to use a location which DOES NOT contain spaces in the directory names and choose the same drive for your application as for your Symbian directory (SDK)
    ( The checkbox(Win32) and the radio button default settings are right.)

4. From the wizard dialog you can select which type of application you
    would like to create.
    ( For quick start now just click Finish )

5. Press F7 or select Build/Build app. name from the menu
    (You do not have to write any piece of code before)

6. Select Build/Execute from menu (CTRL-F5)
    Click on the arrow (Browse) and choose ...\Symbian\6.1\Series60\Epoc32\Release\wins\udeb\epoc.exe
    /This file start the debug environment of the emulator /

7. Select other folder in Emulator with the arrows and click on the Ok button. Select your application (e.g. abc) and click Ok again. Now you can test this application by clicking on soft keys arrows.

8. If it works so far, than you could modify the code and play with it. In example you will find
    Function void CAbcAppUi::HandleCommandL (TInt aCommand) inside CAbcAppUi object contain iEikonEnv->InfoMsg (_L ("test"));
    Change the text to Helloword, and you get the GUI kind of Helloword application.

EXECUTING THE SAMPLE APPLICATION PROVIDED WITH SDK

1. Create the abld file.

In a command window, go into the application's top level folder (the one which contains the bld.inf file) e.g. C:\Symbian\6.1\Series60\Epoc32Ex\HelloWorld and enter the following command:

bldmake bldfiles

This will create the abld.bat file in the current directory.

2. Create the Visual C++ workspace and project files.

now enter the following command:

abld makefile vc6

This will create the Visual C++ project files in a subdirectory of the %EPOCROOT%epoc32\Build' directory, where %EPOCROOT% is the pathname of the emulator root; e.g. C:\Symbian\6.1\Series60\Epoc32\BUILD\SYMBIAN\6.1\SERIES60\EPOC32EX\HELLOWORLD\HELLOWORLD\WINS

3. Run Microsoft Visual C++ and open the workspace file

Workspace file can be found similar to the location mentioned above. Open the file and press F7 to build.

4. Select the Execute item from the Build menu

If project compiles without any errors, execute it from Build->Execute. When the 'Executable for Debug Session' dialog box appears press the command button in the right of the dialog box and select browse from the pop-up menu. Using the browse dialog select the file %EPOCROOT%epoc32\release\wins\udeb\epoc.exe e.g. C:\Symbian\6.1\Series60\Epoc32\Release\wins\UDEB\EPOC.EXE . The emulator will run.