Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Super Contributor

Talking Python for S60 3rd Edition

Yes, it finally happened.

I'm pleased to announce the release of PyS60 1.3.8, the first preview
    of Python for S60 3rd Edition. Downloads are available at SourceForge:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=154155

First of all a disclaimer: This is not a final stable release. There
    are sharp edges and pointy bits. Wear gloves. Keep away from children.

Just like last year, we are going to put out development releases
    before the final in order to get feedback and to expose them to
    additional testing. This is the first one of those releases. There is
    still a lot of testing, bug fixing and polishing to do and new
    features to add before the stable release. We are aiming for a final
    1.4.0 release some time in the second half of 2006.

In the first half of 2006 we have concentrated on getting things
    ported to the 3rd edition. It's been a bumpy ride at times, and other
    things have been put aside for a while in order to get the 3rd edition
    release into the hands of developers as quickly as possible.

One of these is fixes to bugs found in the older releases. I'd like to
    thank everyone who has taken the time to test our releases and file
    bug reports in SourceForge on the defects found. We haven't forgotten
    them and in the coming months we are going to address them.

Another is documentation updates. The PyS60 Library Reference hasn't
    been updated yet to reflect the 3rd edition changes, primarily because
    things are still in flux and there have been quite few feature
    additions. For the time being you have to read the release notes and
    readmes to see what is new.

The codebase of 1.3.8 currently supports only the 3rd edition
    SDK. PyS60 is definitely going to keep supporting pre-3rd ed
    platforms, and as we start doing the pending bug fixes and feature
    additions, we'll release builds for older platforms as well. There
    isn't much to tweak to make everything work smoothly, but since there
    have been so few feature additions this preview release has been
    compiled just for 3rd edition.

Anyway, now it's your turn. Try it out and tell us what you think.

Unfortunately I cannot promise any responses for the next month or so,
    since Finland practically shuts down for the summer holidays. We'll
    get back to you in August, though.

Happy hacking!

-- Jukka Laurila
    Last edited by jplauril; 2006-07-07 at 16:42.

Re: Python for S60 3rd Edition

Hello!

Thank you very much for the release - it is fine to see things are going on

I have a Nokia E70, and i am not able to install the "pythonscriptshell_1_3_8_3rded_selfsigned.sis". The two packages in " pythonfors60_1_3_8_3rded_selfsigned.sis" works perfect.
    I have also tried to install the two files in reverse order, and all combinations of memory and flash card installation - i cant get the shell on my phone.
    When trying to install all the questions come (and i press the left key all the time), then the dialog with the progress bar is coming up. The progress bar does nothing (stays at "level 0") and after a few seconds the message "update error" (actually it is "Akualisierungsfehler" on my german E70 - but i thing this translation should be ok) apears and the installation is aborted.
    I hope someone can use this descripton.

Yours

Regular Contributor

Thumbs down Re: Python for S60 3rd Edition

So you have released Python for S60 3rd Edition 1.3.8 and there is no new version for not 3rd Edition.
    85% Symbian phone are not S60 3rd Edition and Python for S60 1.3.1 it's very slow, we need more api.
    It's seems incredible, we must wait another year to start developing professional games-applications ?
    I have now all time to study Symbian C++, bye Python.
    Last edited by spaceman76; 2006-07-08 at 11:17.
    Ottorino Bruni
    [url]http://www.8mobile.org[/url]

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kolbi-nokia
    Hello!

Thank you very much for the release - it is fine to see things are going on

I have a Nokia E70, and i am not able to install the "pythonscriptshell_1_3_8_3rded_selfsigned.sis". The two packages in " pythonfors60_1_3_8_3rded_selfsigned.sis" works perfect.
    I have also tried to install the two files in reverse order, and all combinations of memory and flash card installation - i cant get the shell on my phone.
    When trying to install all the questions come (and i press the left key all the time), then the dialog with the progress bar is coming up. The progress bar does nothing (stays at "level 0") and after a few seconds the message "update error" (actually it is "Akualisierungsfehler" on my german E70 - but i thing this translation should be ok) apears and the installation is aborted.
    I hope someone can use this descripton.

Yours
    Hmm, I used to get that error when I had an older version of the same application (same UID) on the phone and I tried to install the new one on-top (without un-installing the existing one first). I don't know, though, if this applies to you, because from your description I understand that you weren't able to install it in the first place. Check out though the App Manager.

HTH

S.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kolbi-nokia
    Hello!
    Unable to reproduce this on my E70.

One idea: To make debugging easier the script shell SIS package turns on the display of panic codes by installing the file c:\resource\errrd. If you have previously installed another package that includes this file, the update error may be due to that. You can check this with a file manager.

What firmware version do you have? You can see this by entering *#0000# in the idle screen.

Hello Jukka!
    Quote Originally Posted by jplauril
    One idea: To make debugging easier the script shell SIS package turns on the display of panic codes by installing the file c:\resource\errrd. If you have previously installed another package that includes this file, the update error may be due to that. You can check this with a file manager.
    Bingo!
    Of course i had this - i am a bit inquisitive about such things
    Putting away that file made it possible to install the python packages.

Thank you very much!

Helmut Kolb

I can't cd into "C:/sys". Errno -46.
    What rights is this self-signing give ?
    Is this python released by Nokia ? Can it be signed by them ?

Is there anyway to get rid of all these restrictions ? It's VERY frustrating.
    I would like to be root on my own phone, dammit.

Thanks,
    Daniel

Super Contributor

These self-signed binaries are signed with the maximum capabilities available for self-signed apps, i.e.: ReadUserData, WriteUserData, UserEnvironment, LocalServices, NetworkServices. A summary of what you can't do with this set is included in PyS60_3rdEd_README.txt. Briefly: you can't read the cell ID or access contacts or certain protected directories.

The *DeviceData requirement for the contacts module is something that may be fixed in the future by switching to a different underlying API. The current module was written against the CPbkContactEngine API which requires ReadDeviceData and WriteDeviceData. It may be possible to switch to using CContactDatabase which doesn't require *DeviceData; we'll look into it.

You can have more capabilities by getting a Developer Certificate (devcert) for your phone from Symbian, recompiling the runtime for higher capabilities and then signing the resulting SIS files with your devcert. In the future we'll probably ship for convenience a set of ready-built SIS packages with different capabilities, ready to be signed with devcerts.

The basic level developer certificate is free and getting it takes just a few minutes after you've installed the SDK and the certificate request tool. That basic level devcert gives you Location, PowerManagement, ProtServ, SurroundingsDD, and SWEvent in addition to the set available for self-signed apps. However, these won't actually get you any new functionality with the current PyS60 distribution.

The medium level devcert will give you ReadDeviceData, WriteDeviceData and TrustedUI. Concretely, this will give you access to Cell ID and the contacts database. This kind of devcert requires an ACS Publisher ID, which costs about 350 dollars per year.

The rest of the capabilities (such as AllFiles, which you would require to read the contents of c:/sys) are available with the highest level devcert. You'll need an ACS Publisher ID, and you will need to separately request the capabilities you need from the phone manufacturer.

More information on devcerts:

https://www.symbiansigned.com/Develo...e_FAQ_v1.2.pdf

There is no way to "turn off" Platform Security in a S60 3rd Edtition device. A high-capability devcert is the closest you can get. However, the self-signed capability set is enough for many applications.

Super Contributor

Note: If you get a "Certificate error" when installing, check that Tools->App.Mgr->Options->Settings->Software installation is set to "All".

Re: Python for S60 3rd Edition (how do I run my scripts?)

I am having difficulty getting my Python scripts to run.

I installed this python release (1.3.8) on a Nokia E60. Works fine for the preinstalled scripts like snake.py. Also works fine by the bluetooth console to use the interactive interpreter on the phone. Very cool.

Problem:
    Lots of web references for the previous edition say to do something like:
    --------------------------
    "Initially you can just beam your new script/program (i.e. the .py file) over to your smartphone, where it will be picked up by the PyS60 recognizer and you simply choose to 'install as script' or 'install as library'. For most purposes, you'll want to choose 'script'. Then start up the Python interpreter and run your installed script. Pretty easy!"
    --------------------------

When I try the above, the .py file appears in my inbox, but it is not 'picked up by the PyS60 recognizer' when I select it. I get a "Messaging: System error (-1)"

The file I sent to the phone is called scriptexample.py

import appuifw
    appuifw.note(u"This works", "info")

I can enter the above 2 lines at the interactive bluetooth console and a "Hello world" message appears on the E60.

I tried to browse the E60 file system, but I don't have access to much of the file system due to the 3rd edition security model.

How can I run this simple script on the phone?
    Thanks in advance.

If you put your script in "C:\\Python" or "E:\\Python" then you'll be able to choose it from "Run script" menu.

Alternatively, if you save the script (tst.py) somewhere (let's say E:\\py), from the interactive console you can:

execfile("E:\\py\\tst.py)

Regarding the S60 3rd Edition security model all I can say is: IT SUCKS.
    I can't believe there is no way for me to have access to all filesystem !
    I don't want to make/sell applications, I don't want to make money, I just want to be able to control my phone w/ my scripts...

Daniel

Re: Python for S60 3rd Edition (how do I run my scripts?)

Also: I think in the current release of Python for S60 there is no recognizer for the .py.
    It says so in the txt files acompanying the release.

Daniel

Hi2All
    To what folder i must put codepage files such as cp1251.py cp1251.pyc ??
    And to what folders i must put pyd files.
    Thanx
    sorry my english

Super Contributor

Hi,
    I'm having the same issues with a NOKIA N91. A Python installer for pushing the scripts on the phone would be more than welcome since you cannot access all the file system

So the PyS60 development teem: keep going you do a very nice job!

But I just hope I could start hacking this phone soon!!!

All my support!

Regular Contributor

Capabilities?

So of course anybody can get a devcert and higher capabilities for their own handset. But have you any concrete information you can give on actually writing capability-requiring Python scripts? Will there be a way to assign capabilities to scripts and to sign them? Will the runtime check that the script is signed? What about run-time code-loading etc?

And if you will manage a solution to that, will there be a way for third-parties to do the same for their own virtual environments?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast