Discussion Board

Cant run application with PushRegistry on 5140i

Hi,

My 5140i won't run applications with pushregistry-permissions set. Is this a common problem on this model or with all S40 2nd Ed. phones? Or could it be me just doing something stupid?

regards,

Kjetil

Super Contributor

Re: Cant run application with PushRegistry on 5140i

hi,

maybe that's depending on type of connection you want to register with Push registry? (say like Bluetooth push connection not supported on S60 erly versions),
    regards,
    peter

It's for a SMS pushregistry registration. It just says not valid application (translated). I tried it on other phones, works fine. I also tried just creating an app that does nothing. All it got is the startApp(), pauseApp() and so on. But it does nothing except i register it with a SMS-pushregistry and i get the same error message. Seems like pushregistry is not supported on this phone/OS for me. What do you think. Please reply quick..it's quite urgent.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

Can you try to install the application that comes with this Forum Nokia document: http://forum.nokia.com/info/sw.nokia...v1_0.zip.html? It also has PushRegistry set for SMS use.

Second: are you installing the application with the correspondent .jad attached? Series 40 will only recognize PushRegistry-enabled applications installed via OTA (browsing to a given .JAD file) or via PC Suite, where the .JAD and the .JAR file must be on the same folder in the PC you're installing from.

Daniel

The JAR and JAD are in the same directory. However the wma-example application works fine. Any idea what else could be wrong? My app works on other nokia-phones. The pushregistry is the problem. Whenever i enter a pushregistry entry in the jad-file it wont run on the 5140i. What could be the problem? The midlet is not signed. Could that be it? Is it a problem with the SDK's? Does the 5140i need a special SDK for running applications?

regards,

Kjetil

Hi again, i think i have narrowed it down to the simple build up of the application with the sdk used. Anyone know how (SDK and so on) the test application mentioned earlier in this thread is made?

Appreciate answers to this. It is really urgent.

regards,

Kjetil

Super Contributor

hi Kjetil,

that's Borland JBuilder Microedition version project according to extensions in source files, so most probably created with JBuilder Developer or JBuilder Enterprise edition which do have J2ME support if I remember well,
    according to JBuilder project files they used:
    Code:
    <property category="sys" name="JDK" value="Nokia S40 DP 2.0 SDK 1.1"/>
    <property category="sys" name="JvmVersion" value="1.2"/>
    SDK and JVM versions to compile that sample,

however any IDE should create correct distribution,
    I'd recommend NetBeans+Mobility Pack, free as beer and probably the best choice on Earth,
    www.netbeans.org > mobility pack

hth,
    regards,
    peter

Hi again. Turns out that it helps bringing in the nokia developer suite for building the jar and jad and deploying the application. I previously used JBuilder and deployed with nokia pc suite without making it work. Strange. That approach worked on other phones. Well. It works now. The only problem now is that the phone freezes when starting the application on the phone. If i turn it off and on again the application starts with the requested incoming network push. Any idea what is wrong with the inital startup?

thanks for all your help guys..been very useful.

regards, Kjetil

BTW: heres a snip of the code. The application freezes only at the first startup. Again this is a 5140i or i guess series 40 2ed specific problem. Works fine on other phones.

public myStart() {

}

public void startApp() {
    String connectList[];
    //Was the MIDlet started by an incoming connection?
    connectList = PushRegistry.listConnections(true);
    if (connectList == null || connectList.length == 0) {

//Started by the user, exit
    //destroyApp(false);
    notifyDestroyed();
    }
    else { //Started from an incoming connection...
    //Do something with the connection

Super Contributor

hi Kjetil,

i've not found any reference for similiar issue (maybe cannot find using forum serach),
    have you tried if using false for listConnections does change anything? (in case you are starting midlets via received sms,

when you write "first time" does it means running midlets several times without rebooting phone or after first time midlet was installed?

regards,
    Peter

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi,

You said the WMAExample app worked properly. It also uses PushRegistry. Is this feature of WMAExample also working? I tested it in a couple of s40 phones and it's working fine.

If it's working, perhaps you could take a look at the source code and see what might be blocking the app, such as I/O, threads, etc.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by dcrocha
    Hi,

You said the WMAExample app worked properly. It also uses PushRegistry. Is this feature of WMAExample also working? I tested it in a couple of s40 phones and it's working fine.

If it's working, perhaps you could take a look at the source code and see what might be blocking the app, such as I/O, threads, etc.

Daniel
    The WMAExample and my app works fine now. Turns out I had to deploy it with nokia dev studio not nokia pc suite. Dont know why. Again thanks for your help.

Peter: I also figured it had something to do with listconnection, seems like it cant call the destroyapp() or something. Anyway I solved by making something happen when the user starts it rather than just closing the app automatically. Thanks a lot guys! Helped me out with a big one here...

Kjetil

Nokia Developer Expert

Seems like the installer was not uploading the .jad file to the phone as it should, but I'm glad you solved your problem with Carbide's deployer.

Also, it seems that calling destroyApp() from within startApp() somehow threw the midlet into a deadlock. As the spec does not say anything about how these calls should be implemented, i'll have to keep guessing

Daniel