Discussion Board

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Known Issues

Re: Known Issues

Hi,
    I am not able to reproduce this issue, but some users have this problem:

They download and install the application correctly. After that, they start the application and they see:

Application error - KNIEXT_NewGlobal Ref failed

This happened only on Nokia S40 3rd edition - in particular 6111, 7370 and 6280.

Any idea?

Luca

platformrequest("tel:... does not work on 6280

We were able to isolate a problem that appeared first on a Nokia 6280 and possibly exists on some other phones, too.

once a platformrequest is performed with a telephone number and the application will shortly after this exit, the phone number will not be called.

the calling screen appears for some instances, then the applciation just exits.

to reproduce the problem, create a blank midlet, place a platformrequest in the startApp method and call notifyDestroyed directly after this.

interestingly, it works if the midlet is part of a midlet suite with 1+ midlets. then the app does not seem to be destroyed immediately and the call goes through.

a workaroudn is to call Thread.sleep(2000) after the platformrequest. Then the native implementation seems to have enough time to make the call happen.

---

here the code of the test midlet that does not place a call on nokia 6280. note that the boolean return is false!

import javax.microedition.lcdui.Alert;
    import javax.microedition.lcdui.Display;
    import javax.microedition.midlet.MIDlet;

public class Dummy6280 extends MIDlet {

public Dummy6280(){

}

public void startApp() {
    boolean possibleWithoutEnding = false;
    try{
    possibleWithoutEnding = platformRequest("tel:+491723844659"); // dial the phonenumber.
    }catch(Exception e){}

Alert alert = new Alert ("check");

if (possibleWithoutEnding)
    {

alert.setString("The MIDlet suite must exit before the call can be invoked!");

}
    else
    {
    alert.setString("Call can be invoked from within the app!");
    }

alert.setTimeout (Alert.FOREVER);
    Display.getDisplay(this).setCurrent(alert);

}

public void pauseApp() {

}

public void destroyApp(boolean unconditional) {

}

}

if you place a sleep after the request, it should work
    possibleWithoutEnding = platformRequest("tel:+491723844659"); // dial the phonenumber.
    Thread.sleep(2000)
    (plus add throw/catch)

On which phones is this likely to be the same? On 6680 it worked fine without the workaround.

Cheers\
    Sven

Super Contributor

Luca,
    About the "KNIEXT_NewGlobal Ref failed" error.
    Is your midlet using network connections? It looks like some earlier application left some connections in a bad state, and hence your midlet is not able to open any network connections. This problem should be corrected by turning the phone off and removing the battery for a while (a minute or so)

Hartti

Super Contributor

Re: platformrequest("tel:... does not work on 6280

Hansamann, I have been notified on this issue by another developer two months ago, but for some reason I did not finalize the known issue doc on this. Sorry for that.
    In any case you could use a following workaround for this:
    instead of just calling notifyDestroyed();

try using this code for 6280 (the sleep period is not "scientifically decided", you could try using different values in there...)

try {
    Thread.sleep(3000);
    } catch (InterruptedException ex) {
    ex.printStackTrace();
    }
    notifyDestroyed();

Does this solve your issue?

Hartti

Super Contributor

Regular Contributor

Thank you guys for starting discussion on this topic. This has been really useful for me so far. With limited handset availability, I always had hard time convincing my clients about application compatibility across various platforms.

As far as I can see there are some compatibility issues across nokia platforms themselves. It may not be the right place to ask this question, but how do you guys find the MIDlet compatibility on other platforms like RIM, brew, pam, winMob etc ?

I'm aware that this is Nokia forum and I'm probably asking an off space question. I'd appreciate any if you guys could help - I understand otherwise

thanks
    ~B

S60 3Ed: App. closed: lcdui crash

On my Nokia 5500 while removing Items from a Form which is currently on screen the vm sometimes crashes and gives the following error message: App. closed: lcdui.

Haven't looked into exactly how to reproduce it yet but it seems to happen consistently if you remove two items from the form one being the current item.

Anyone else experienced this?

Short post dial string for S40 3rd Edition

Hi,

It has been confirmed that certain S40 3rd Edition devices support only limited post dial string for platformRequest("tel:") schema. This is a departure from S40 2nd Edition, and has been documented in FNTL KIJ000447.

Regretably, there was no plan to update or revise the firmware for these past releases.

Further, it is not clear if future S40 3rd Edition devices will revert to support long post dial string as S40 2nd Edition; and if S60 and S80 will continue support long post dial string.

We will be pleased to hear affirmative response from Nokia. Thanks.

SIP REGISTER, the expires in Contact Header is not correct

In S60 3rd, the expires parameter for REGISTER in Contact Header is not composed correctly as:

According to RFC 3261, the right format should be:

Because of this wrong format, a registra can't extract the expires value. An S60 can register without problem since a registra will assign a default value of 3600 for a message without expires header, but it will not be able to unregister it.

- JT

Super Contributor

Re: Short post dial string for S40 3rd Edition

epalite, Series 40 development team has been notified on this and for future devices the max telephony string will be substantially longer.
    S60 and Series 80 implementations are not affected by this.

gowjt, I have sent report this for the SIP Java dev team, and I hope to hear from them shortly.

Hartti

Super Contributor

Re: Short post dial string for S40 3rd Edition

gowjt, the dev team was not able to reproduce the SIP problem you stated - the expires parameter was always correctly placed.

"I executed couple tests for Contact header in the initial and de-registering situation. All tests was passed successfully. Initial and de-registration worked without problems."

Do you have any code sample to cause this behavior and which device are you exactly using?

Hartti

Re: S60 3Ed: App. closed: lcdui crash

Hi the_mincer,
    We have not ourselves experienced this, but one of our customers has seen something similar on his 5500. When trying to delete an item (CustomItem in our case) a java.lang.Exception is thrown.

When using a E50 (also 3rd Ed) we are experiencing the following:
    When trying to delete an item (CustomItem) from the form our apps sometimes crashes (say one out of five times). No message is shown but I have traced is down to the call of myForm.delete(num).
    I have tried to catch any Throwable but nothing is thrown. The app just crashes.

Nokia support:
    Is this known and if so is there a workaround?

Regrads Martin
    Quote Originally Posted by the_mincer
    On my Nokia 5500 while removing Items from a Form which is currently on screen the vm sometimes crashes and gives the following error message: App. closed: lcdui.

Haven't looked into exactly how to reproduce it yet but it seems to happen consistently if you remove two items from the form one being the current item.

Anyone else experienced this?

Hi,
    Found out after a few hours for debugging on the E50 that this only happened if one deletes the second last Item in the Form.

The workaround is to set the current item manually.
    setCurrentItem(Item).

I don't know if tha helps you.

/ Martin

getResourceAsStream finds file with wrong name

If a .jar contains files /130, /30 and /22, getResourceAsStream("/0") behaves just like getResourceAsStream("/130") and getResourceAsStream("/2") behaves just like getResourceAsStream("/22") instead of returning null to signal that the file is not present. Additionally, getResourceAsStream("/") returns the contents of /META-INF/MANIFEST.MF (?!) I have created a MIDlet to demostrate this behaviour.

This behaviour has been observed on

Nokia E50 V 06.27.1.0 10-07-2006 RM-170
    Nokia 6680 V 5.04.07 15-02-06 RM-36
    and other, older Nokia phones.

It has not been observed on SonyE W300i, Sun WTK 2.5 beta emulator or Series 60 MIDP Concept SDK Beta 0.3.1 Nokia edition emulator.

Super Contributor

Re: getResourceAsStream finds file with wrong name

tkinnun0, can you send the midlet to me (or send an email though my screen name)

Hartti