Discussion Board

Build for multiple devices

Hi everybody,

i have developed an application for 3rd edition that i want to install in devices with different screen resolutions. I want to have only one sis file. My code is now dependant of this feature by means of macros along cpp and if clauses in pkg file. What do you consider is the best way to define macros and make such differentiation between devices?, maybe different mmp's with macro definition?. Any other idea?

Thanks!

Re: Build for multiple devices

Why not retrieve such dimensions in runtime, and act accordingly? You'll have a single sis file.

That is a possibility, that i don't like, cause i must take into account that difference along all the files in the project. It'd suppose to be passing that parameter (boolean if i consider only two resolutions or an enum in case of consider more than two) between all classes. I wonder if exists a easier way of doing this. In debug for instance i have a config header file, in which i select the targeted device (define or undef macro), and i can use it along the whole project. I think other possibility would be to have different mmp's, one for each project, with the macro defined on it. If i could define these macros when detecting the resolution, that would be perfect, but preprocessing labels cannot be defined in cpps. Is there ny other easier way of making this?. Thanks PushL for your response.

One possibility is using the MACRO statement in the mmp file (see sdk docs for detailed info). This way, you can set/clear any combination you want to:

MACRO SCREEN_176x208

Then in your cpp files, you do the usual:

#if defined(SCREEN_176x208)
    #elif ...
    #else
    #error "Unsupported resolution"
    #endif

The problem of course is maintainance. OTOH, I have been using runtime resolution for drawing custom boxes, etc. depending on the screen size (on a non graphic intensive program) and it works pretty well. Also, depending on your design, you could instantiate a specific object (from a pool of several) according to the current resolution. This way you'd make comparisons once.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

the same problem occurs when you create games in j2me, only then do you have a device databse of around 1000 handsets, each with different processors, capabilities and resolutions. So with Symbian we're still pretty ok.

anyhow, what I use is ANT for making a build script. With this script you build for every known device group/operator and language. SO you set it running and an hour l;ater you have all your builds ready.

using ant you can generate include files, tweak MMP files and your PKG files according to a set of rules.

downside of ANT is that it is Java,... but if you don't have a problem with that it actually works pretty good. ;^)

of course there are also other build systems like visual build, so maybe you should do some research which system works best for you

Reinier

Regular Contributor

Hi, I can't understand why don't you code a scalable UI? See some new FN examples and you'll see the idea.