Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Smile how to convert .bmp files to .mbm file?

yeah , i have tried all the suggestions given in this forum , but one constraint in making the .mbm file m facing is tht-

m able to create the .mbm file using the command line bmconv , file is successfully created but tht file is having the size of "0 KB" , so its of no use, m not able to use that .mbm file , coz no image is displayed.

can anyone tell me the correct steps to build .mbm file , plz dont send the links as i have tried every links , it wld be better if anyone send me steps implemented by them n those which r working!!!

Can anyone tell me wht is the use of BMCONV.EXE and AIF builder?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: how to convert .bmp files to .mbm file?

usually if the mbm file size is zero, it means that bmconv failed, most often this happens when the source file specified can not be found. Usually you could see the missing file from the output generated by the bmconv when you run it.

yucca

You can try these steps:
    1. open the Command Prompt
    2. type bmconv
    - this step is used to check whether the bmconv is available or not, if available you should see how to use bmconv. if not, you cannot resume to the next steps. you can reinstall the symbian sdk to fix this.
    3. put your bmp file in a folder, to ensure the working process is success put the folder in the same drive you install the symbian sdk ( eg: drive c ). for example you put your bmp file in c:\image\, and the bmp filename is image.bmp
    4. type cd c:\image
    5. type bmconv test.mbm /c24image.bmp

the file test.mbm should have been created in the c:\image folder.

good luck

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: how to convert .bmp files to .mbm file?

thnks a lot !
    woow wid ur suggesiton m able to create the .mbm file n its also having some size !
    Now i want to use this flie in my application i tried d following code but d icon is not displayed in the output (i.i, on emulator) m getting the default icon. The code i tried is as follow:

---------
    CODE:
    ---------

icon_file = "\\resource\\apps\\test.mbm";

i changed the above line in my .rss file . Is there something more to do than this?
    PLz tell me how can use .mbm file created by us in our application????????!

Regular Contributor

hey ronald !
    can u tell is there any need of creating the .mif file, mbm_rom file, and .skn file for using the mbm files created by me.

jignasha,

Are you trying to create an application icon or do you plan to load the images from MBM at run time and so some processing on them?

If going for an icon are you targeting S60 2nd Edition FP3 SDK and S60 3rd Edition devices (with scalable UI) or devices based on earlier devices.

If you're going for scalable UI then you might want to create MIFs, these are created using the mifconf.exe tool and the source files should be SVG and not BMP.

I assume you (jignasha) use S60 3rd Edition SDK since the 2nd Edition doesn't has icon_file resource.
    ltomuta is right, in 3rd Edition, you must use the svg type picture for the icon, and the svg should be converted into .mif file. Thus the icon_file should be looks like this:
    icon_file = "\\resource\\apps\\MyApp_aif.mif";

The easiest way to change your app icon is to change the current .svg file used by your application. You should see the file in aif folder of your project. Replace the file with your new svg icon file. Recompile your code.

good luck

can i convert 3rd edi project to 2nd edition?

And HOw ?

You may succeed, practically you should do the opposite of the 2nd->3rd porting steps, which are documented well. Check Docs section above, then Symbian C++, Compatibility. And the Wiki may also contain some guide as well.