Discussion Board

anybody wanna test this?

I'm developing a car racing game called "Weekend Racer" where you race production cars through urban environments. Right now, I'm busy creating the car models, but the game's physics engine is completed. The engine uses floats, so I'm not exactly sure how fast (or slow) it is on devices without an FPU. Anyhow, I've posted this thing on some other boards, but haven't gotten much of a response. I'm curious if it even runs on any 3D phone. If it bombs, it will give the reason for it, so if you test it and get an error, it will help to debug it. All testers will get the game when it comes out. Thanks in advance to all testers, the demo can be downloaded at:

http://www.geocities.com/bpj1138/WeekendRacerDemo.zip

--Bart

Super Contributor

Re: anybody wanna test this?

quickly tested on E50. Worked ok, although the car seemed to be two rectangle planes and wheels (there was a proper car in front of the plane-wheels cobo though, but you could drive the wheels past that.)

Reported fps

Hartti

Super Contributor

hi Bart,

on 6680:
    without custom model added: 13.* fps
    with custom model added (cadillac): 8.* fps

shouldn't having "close"/"exit" command added on right soft key be adviced here (on welcome screen not on game screen) in case user run midlet incidentally?

regards,
    peter

Hey! Thank you both for replying. Yeah the car being driven will appear as wheels and a rectangle (what you're actually seeing is the bottom of the car), this will change when I add car interiors (this will also lower the car count by 1), so you won't see the wheels anymore, but for debugging purposes, I just draw the car being driven without special handling. I'm worried that you were able to drive though the car in front of you, can you drive though the buildings too? The framerate is rather low, especially with only two cars. The car models are roughly 300-400 triangles including wheels, although if the frame rate is so low, I am considering making alpha image wheels instead, that would lower the triangle count/memory considerably. Anyhow, thanks again for the testing, you will be put on the mailing list, I'm glad the demo at least runs and draws stuff.

Peter, thanks for your suggestion, I'll add a cancel button.

--Bart

Just wanted to let everybody know the file has been moved, you can go to the game's web site now,

http://www.geocities.com/bpj1138/weekendracer/

There is a new version of the demo there with a few more cars and some other minor changes:

* building textures now wrap around the building (makes a big difference even with the old textures)

* length wise texture coordinates for roads now working with a new texture with lanes.

* added cancel button on welcome screen

--Bart

PS: I looked at the jbenchmark info of the 6680, and found the results rather strange. It says the triangle throughput is 47K/s while the WTK23 emulator on my machine does 20K/s, but gets roughly the same framerate (13 fps). The results are further scewed by 6680's HQ/LQ score of around 260 while my emulator gets around 470. What it looks like is that the rasterizer on the 6680 is fast, but the Java VM is not. Can anybody confirm this? If that's the case, then it seems doing work in Java code like coarse culling is not a good idea. On the other hand, at least I have a place to do optimization (on the physics and car dynamics code), if it was the rasterizer, I couldn't do much about it.

Talking Re: anybody wanna test this?

when extracting the zip file,message-- "unexpected end of archive" comes out.
    Would you plz send me the Jar/Jad directly?
    mediakid@gmail.com
    Thanks.

Thanks for telling me! I went and checked this out, since I haven't made any changes, and for some unknown reason, the file was indeed corrupted. I checked the file size and it was exactly one byte larger!?! So I reuploaded the uncorrupted version, and redownloaded it to make sure it was ok... NOPE! Still one byte larger, even though I just reuploaded the uncorrupted version.. What is going on here? I upload to a different directory, same thing. Finally, I changed the name from "WeekendRacerDemo" to "WeekendRacerBin", and now it works fine! WHAT? I don't even wanna try to explain what just happened there, but I'm glad I can troubleshoot like that. Anybody care to explain this to me? The site is hosted by geocities.

--Bart