Discussion Board

Unhappy How To Make The S60 Emulator See My USB Bluetooth Dongle ?

Hi, I hope somebody will read this and help me to find a solution.

The Given Information
    I'm using the following software/hardware to develope an S60 symbian application:
    1. Windows XP Professional SP2
    2. Visual Studio .Net 2003 (as development IDE)
    3. Visual C++ .NET (as programming language)
    4. S60 SDK 2.1 (included within a Nokia development suite package)
    5. S60 2.1 Emulator (included within a Nokia development suite package)
    6. NCF (Nokia Connectivity Framework) 1.2
    7. USB Bluetooth Dongle (Widcomm chipset based on BCM2035 Broadcom tranceiver)

The Objectives

The application I'm writing performs bluetooth device and service discovery. I want to allow the emulator to connect with other real bluetooth device by using the USB bluetooth dongle in my computer.

The Problems
    I know that the emulator can only see USB devices that support HCI interface through UART (i.e. through COM ports). I checked out and found that my BCM2035 Broadcom bluetooth chip does support H4-UART as an option, but since I tried (by modifying the bt.esk) and faild then I guess that unless I did something wrong, this approch won't work out (maybe because the manufacturer, which is the Xtreme Technology, turned it off. I'm not sure yet since I didn't write to them yet!). And by the way, the cyberabi drivers won't help me since they don't support Broadcom chipsets.

I adopted another approch by using NCF 1.2. First of all, I noticed that the NCF doesn't show me the S60 SDK 2.1 platform in the structures tree? Anyhow I tried to add it as a new product integration (and used the emulator executable file and folder as the application to launch for this integartion at the start-up tab). Then when I tried to configuer this terminal sdk to use the NCF as a bluetooth device (i.e. no real bluetooth) by configuring the bluetooth technology for this terminal sdk as virtual serial port (from Product Properties\Technologies tab), it worked out and I succeeded to turn on the bluetooth on the emulator (but since there is no other platform installed I couldn't do anything with bluetooth but this is not a problem).
    Now, when I tried to configure the terminal sdk to use my USB bluetooth dongle nothing works out.

The Required Solutions
    To sum up I would be very thankful for any help you can provide by answering as much as possible of these questions:
    1. Supposing that my USB bluetooth dongle does support HCI interface through H4-UART, what are the steps (step by step and in a numbered list please) to configure both the USB bluetooth dongle and the emulator to work together?
    2. Why the NCF didn't show my S60 SDK 2.1 in the structures tree (as a terminal sdk) although it's supposed to be preconfigured with this SDK?
    3. What are the steps (step by step and in a numbered list please) to add the S60 SDK 2.1 to the NCF as a terminal SDK?
    4. What are the steps (step by step and in a numbered list please) to configure the NCF & the emulator together in order to use my USB bluetooth dongle?
    5. Any other ideas, solutions, software or anything that might help me?

Note: I spent the last 5 days searching the whole forums searching for some guidance so I have read alot of the posts and tried them out, but nothing worked for me, again I would be very thankful for any help ...

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: How To Make The S60 Emulator See My USB Bluetooth Dongle ?

Hi, Please don't create more than one thread see this other thread for repsonses http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...ad.php?t=85551

Thanks I have closed this thread.