Discussion Board

Wink NEW symbian 60 flash lite 2 game

Hi,

We have just released a new flash lite 2 game for symbian 60 phones. If anyone wants to download a demo you can do so direct from our webpage http://www.ubiquitygames.com Let us know if it's running ok and what devices it's running on. You will need flash lite 2 first from http://www.adobe.com/products/flashlite/

Cheers!

Evan Green

Super Contributor

Re: NEW symbian 60 flash lite 2 game

Have you thought about making the game Flash Lite 1.1 compatible (as it is preinstalled on many devices). Now people have to buy (10 bucks) and download Flash 2.0 first. In addition it is not available for all of those devices which have already Flash Lite 1.1.

You might have much bigger audience that way (yes, 1.1 is more limited than 2.0, but...)

Hartti

Super Contributor

hi Evan,

S60 6680 device with FL2,
    few comments:
    provide soft button key "skip" instead of "Press HOLD" on welcome screen
    on the instruction screen for shared object "OKAY" should be on left soft key NOT on right soft key (that's positive decision item)
    What's the purpose of "OKAY" if pressing any key dismiss that informational screen about shared object access?
    Instructions screen (game help) could have a little bigger text, I guess you have embedded fonts here, so you should take that into account that they could look too small on device, You couuld for example provide that information as scrollable content or as set of screens
    Instructions screen has Menu items which are contrary to S60 style guide (see recent nokia/adobe doc about flash lite UI interface guidelince),
    You have "Back", and "Exit" command at the same time on screen, BAck on left soft key which is contrary to style guide,
    if you have to provide "Back" option it should go to right-soft key and no "Exit" option for that screen should be provided
    not sure about "Exit" routine, I don't think that providing "confirm exit" screen is preffered IF there is no ongoing game (with game taking place I could agree thath confirmation is required)
    not sure if implementing "MENU" screen options is correct,
    if user choose menu "menu list" is provided - however screen do not have "Exit" option for example and have to scroll entire list to pick "exit"
    If user pick menu item, for example "choose level" you're presenting screen which has "Menu" and "Exit" options, but it should be rather "Back" - meaning "go back to menu screen options to choose different options"
    when ball is missed (goes offscreen) some notification should be made for users, otherwise it take a while to find out that simply pressing any key causes "resume game" option to be executed and new ball is placed for user,

for compability with future devices (as Hartti implied in his post) implement scale routine for application, (could be tested by running in standalone flash player due to lack of FL2 support in Nokia emulators for S603ed/S403edFP1) - just keeping another thing in mind

@hartti
    it would be easier to understand why that's coded for FlashLite2 if you ever coded something in flash lite 1/1.1 - that's scripting language going back into some year before the 2000 year (flash 4), I've never coded in that language, always in ActionScript 2.0 (which is within FlashLite 2) and now in AS3,

regards,
    Peter

Super Contributor

Peter, I agree on the limitations (FL1.1 vs FL2.0). My point was vastly bigger market potential.

And yes, going back from 2.0 to 1.1 is not easy.

Hartti

Quote Originally Posted by hartti
    Have you thought about making the game Flash Lite 1.1 compatible (as it is preinstalled on many devices). Now people have to buy (10 bucks) and download Flash 2.0 first. In addition it is not available for all of those devices which have already Flash Lite 1.1.

You might have much bigger audience that way (yes, 1.1 is more limited than 2.0, but...)

Hartti
    Hi harti,

You know it was funny, when we started making this game we had no idea that nokia had bought flash lite 1.1 for all their phones. When we did find out it was too late. So we decided to just finish the game and show what flash 2 was capable of. We have talked about making some simpler flash lite 1.1 games but the idea of non object oriented coding scares us lol..

evan

Super Contributor

hi,
    @Evan
    the idea of non object oriented coding scares us lol..
    exactly my words!
    :)
    regards,
    Peter

Wink Re: NEW symbian 60 flash lite 2 game

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the input. There are good reasons why did things in a certain way after testing the menu system over and over. I agree with #7 that there should be some kind of indication on what to do next instead of making the user guess as what to do next. Maybe we can implement a small reminder.

What phone are you running PING on?

Cheers,
    Evan

Super Contributor

hi Evan,

S60 6680 device with FL2
    run in good speed, no interaction issues with keys not trapped, etc,

regards,
    Peter