Discussion Board

Unhappy Does Nokia even care?

Over the last months I've posted several support requests (both here and at the forum Nokia website) about problems with the S80 SDK. So far all posts have gone unanswered. Especially the missing files in the S80 SDK are a problem since this prevents me from fixing a big problem in the OPL runtime.

But, since posts here remain unanswered and no answer is given for support questions at the forum Nokia website, I'm starting to wonder if Nokia is even listening to their customers (that can't afford to pay for premium support). Getting no answer at all, gives me the feeling that Nokia doesn't even care that there are problems with their SDKs.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: Does Nokia even care?

Yes we care but S80 questions and experts are few and far between. I don't have any Forum Expert for S80 questions. It looks as if there aren't any peer programmers either. S80 i9s not longer in existence and there really is no one in technical support dedicated for it.

I'm not sure which of your posts are still relavent but if you wish me to go back and look at them to see if I can find help I will.

If you are paying for help at the tech support web site then I'm very concerned and ask that you send me an e-mail with when you submitted the incident reports. They should have at least responded.

Ron

Hi Ron

Thanks for the quick reply. I did have some questions to S80 that never got answered. I did not pay for the tech support at forum nokia though (simply can't afford it), but I did send feedback about the S80 SDK through forum.nokia (about an missing library in the S80 SDK for example).

Some issues I managed to resolve myself by doing it in a different way, but the missing library one is still open. For this I never received an answer from forum.nokia. I also posted this in this forum (http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=83146), and this post also remained unanswered. It would be great if you could find someone that could still answer that.

I do understand that paying customers get preference and, since they're paying, should get an answer, but don't developers that can't afford to buy a support ticket (i.e. freeware developers) also deserve at least some feedback whether or not something can be done about their question/problem?

Best regards
    Arjen

Hi Arjen,

I replied to the thread you mentioned below. No one in Nokia is working on S80 as it has been deprecated. So in a way you are right, no one does care about problems with S80 as they will never be fixed. However we do care about the developer and we do care if these issues have any impact on Series 40 of S60 platforms. Therefore if you post here, I'll try to watch their relevance and get answers if possible. But I can't assure you that I can get answers.

Ron

Hi Ron

Thanks again for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia Ron
    No one in Nokia is working on S80 as it has been deprecated. So in a way you are right, no one does care about problems with S80 as they will never be fixed.
    Maybe the title of this thread should be changed then, as it gives the impression that Series 80 is still supported by Nokia.

I do think it's a little strange (and disappointing) that even though Nokia still sells devices that use Series 80 and that the Series 80 SDK is still available for download, that minor issues (like supplying a zip-file with missing libraries), that could be of great help to developers, are never going to be fixed.

Best regards
    Arjen

Deprecated means it is still supported but nothing is being done and it may not be supported in the future. You can download the Series 80 SDK from this site http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/plat..._and_sdks.html if you are missing any libraries they will be there.

I thought you were trying to get libraries that were developed for other platforms to use with the Series 80 platform which would be an extension of Series 80.

Ron
    Last edited by Nokia Ron; 2006-07-27 at 17:02.

Hi Ron

Thanks for bearing with me :-)
    I wasn't trying to get libraries from a different SDK. I was trying to get libraries that *should* be part of the S80 SDK, but are not included. I've redownloaded and installed both S80 C++ SDKs (Normal and Codewarrior versions), but both are lacking the Alarmshared.lib library which is needed for getting and setting alarms on the Communicator. None of the other links on the page you posted, has a link to these missing libraries either.

The reason I'm saying it *should* be included is that the header files are included in the SDK and the functionality is completely documented in the SDK help, but the library files needed to compile an application that uses the ALARMSHARED.DLL are missing.

So, I wasn't asking for additional functional, but merely for a fix for the omission of these library files. Is this still possible even though the S80 platform is deprecated?

Best regards
    Arjen

Super Contributor

hi ArjenBroeze,

The API documentation and providing libs access is entirely dependent on the device manufactures and sdk team for giving access to their internal components. Anyways i will check whether i can get this lib info from my other friends..and let u know ...

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Hi Mateen

Thanks a lot. I know that some libraries are not available in the SDK (like profile setting for example), but if they're not public, they are not documented then either. Since this API is the *only* way to set alarms on the 9300/9500 (which has always been public functionality) and it is documented completely in the SDK help, my though was that the libs should also be available for the S80 SDK. It has been my assumption from the beginning that this was just a simple error that could be easily rectified.

If you could get it from another SDK it would also be hugely appreciated, but the preferred solution (I'm still hoping) is that Nokia will make the missing libs available for download on forum Nokia.

Best regards
    Arjen

Quote Originally Posted by ArjenBroeze
    I wasn't trying to get libraries from a different SDK. I was trying to get libraries that *should* be part of the S80 SDK, but are not included.
    I can ask and see but the usual case as you explained it, is that these things require you to get these libraries through your business development manager. If you are a member of Forum Nokia Pro you should have a BDM to contact.

Of course this may not be the case and the Library may have intentionally been pulled for some reason.

Ron

Hi Ron

I can ask and see but the usual case as you explained it, is that these things require you to get these libraries through your business development manager. If you are a member of Forum Nokia Pro you should have a BDM to contact.
    As a freeware developer, I don't have approximately 4000 Euro per year to spend on a Forum Nokia Pro membership and therefore no BDM to contact, It would be really helpful if you could check if these libraries can be made available. Thanks in advance.

Best regards
    Arjen

I have "AlarmShared.lib" files for THUMB and WINS UDEB and can give them out. The engineer said that you were working differently than the average developer so the missing librarys had not been an issue before.

Ron

This is wonderful news. Thank you very very much for not giving up on me after my first, rather negative, post.

I've sent you an email where to send the libraries.

Again, thanks. You've really made my day!

Best regards
    Arjen

I have "AlarmShared.lib" files for THUMB and WINS UDEB and can give them out. The engineer said that you were working differently than the average developer so the missing librarys had not been an issue before.

Ron

Hi,
    it looks like this is the same problem, which is present in S60_2nd_FP2_CW SDK
    the alarm libraries (RASCliSession...) should be public (http://developer.symbian.com/main/do..._cat.html#File)
    but they are not included in SDK.
    There is also a Nokia document about using these libraries, instead of RAlarmServer. So it seems difficult to understand why it is so difficult to reach
    these libraries.

Would it be possible to have a page within forum nokia for the download of missing libraries?
    I see I'm not the only one who noticed this lack, and I am sure there are many people who do not even write a message, because they do not believe to be positively answered.

Bruno

Send me a private e-mail and I will forward that to the S60 team. I don't know if they have one for the S60 2nd ed. What I've been told is if you need this library you probably aren't doing something right, it is there for legacy code. But maybe then I was told wrong or misunderstood.

bottom line is that digging this stuff out may require several contacts so if you can send me a mail with the problem and a link to this thread I will do all I can to resolve the issue, eitehr get you the library or get you instructions on how to work around it.

Ron