Hello everybody,

facing the various requirements i need, i have browsed the nokia forum for quite a few days and gathered a lot of significant informations.
I now post this message in order to summarize what i assume i have understood, and i would like to get a validation or correction if it is the case, from more device-experienced users

I have numbered my questions, sorry if it seems long, it is in fact more or less a true/false validation after what i have read and (slightly) experienced.

The final device i have in mind is the Nokia N70, therefore s60e2r3.
I am performing tests with carbide.j/netbeans and prototype 4_0_S60_MIDP.

I must set in place a midlet (or midlet suite) which is able to :
- perform background task querying a bluetooth device
- store data persistently on the device
- perform background task updating a server through a secure socket
- able to wake up by SMS and update a server through a secure socket

For all those requirements, i have opted then for the PushRegistry mecanism with Alarm programming.

0/ As far as i have read, it is eventually possible to let a midlet run in the background on s60, and *eventually* performs threadly the requirements needed. (grossly, handle the pauseApp method to process the functions).

a)Is that true ? Is that a common usage or is it deprecated Vs the PushRegistry ? (i understand that the two process are not the same, in one hand that is a programmed alarm on the other hand it is a long term background process)

I'm am just considering this point in the case i have to find an alternative *if* my push registry scenario cannot be fully performed.

1/ according to the various secured features (auto invocation, netaccess, local connectivity) i will handle, and to get rid of the annoying prompt messages, i must sign my midlet with a certificate which is supported by s60 platform (ie. Verisign). This will allow to let me set my midlet to a more comfortable trust level (ie. identified third party level).

I assume that in my case, such certificate will let me param my midlet to AutoInvocation to "always allow" and net Access to "always allow".

But : According to this thread AutoInvocation and Net access cannot be both set to "always allow", but it seems to be anyway possible on s60.

a)Anyone does have experience such assertion ? alarm push registry *and* net access w/o any prompt ?

(Fact ?) after an excrutiating process, s60 second Edition (not third) devices can handle certificate and key self created as long as i upload these items on the device.

b)I can then, self sign a midlet, download the self cert on my device, which would turns my midlet into a trusted third party, and set the security level of my midlet to get rid of my prompts ?

According to this thread , "autoInvocation will always prompt for s40, whatever the certifation sign is going to be, but is does not seem to apply for s60."

Since i cannot get rid of the autoinvocation prompt on the nokia prototype SDK 4.0 for java ME / prototype 4_0_S60_MIDP emulator (installed OTA or not), whatever the trust settings are, i am just asking twice.
Maybe i do not use the right platform. (..but i could not manage to run properly the alarm push registry on the S60_2nd_FP3_MIDP_SDK emulated platform. Shall i put an harder glance ?)

I am quite sure of the 2 following points, should i ? :
2/ It is possible to share stored RMS data between the midlets of a same suite.
3/ According to the Sun's bible "The MIDP 2.0 Push Registry" it is written "Note that only one outstanding alarm per MIDlet is supported..."
I do understand it as "i can trigger as many alarms as i have midlets in my midlet suite, with only one alarm per midlet".

Sorry if i seem redundant or too long, i am just trying to set things
clear after summing up the various related topic read on the forum.
Thank You.