Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

push registry port problem

Hi

I have a problem with a MIDlet that is launched using the push registry. I want it to launch again using the push registry after it is shut down, but this does not happen. It works fine the first time it is launched. After that it seems to block and wait somewhere around where the application which performs the launch attempts to connect to the same port. (The launched MIDlet is shut down before i attempt to launch it again, in case anyone thinks im trying to get 2 instances running, which i'm not).

The weird thing is, if I attempt to launch a different MIDlet repeatedly, it works fine. There must be some problem with the other MIDlet I'm trying to launch. What could possibly be causing the problem, and does anyone have any idea how to solve it. Is the problem that the port in use is not freed up, even though the application is shut down? I know the problem is not the Midlet doing the launching, as I've written this in Symbian too and got the same results.

Please offer any suggestions, I'm desperately frustrated with this as i don't understand what's wrong. I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Re: push registry port problem

Hi Larry101,

Based on your description i assume you're registering an inbound connection based on a static address and not a dynamic one (one that uses system assigned addresses).

Is there any exception being thrown?

Have you tried to use the PushRegistry.unregisterConnection(String connection) method? Are you using dynamic or static registration?

Note that two MIDlet suites will not share the same Push Registry connection. Have you tried to reinstall the suite? What happened?

Please let's know the device you're talking about. Below there's a good article about PR.

BR,

Juarez Junior

Regular Contributor

Exclamation Re: push registry port problem

Hi

thanks for the reply...you're correct on your first assumption.

it's a nokia 6600. The push registry registration happens when installing (i think that's static then). No exception is thrown, but there's a delay, which eventually seems to time out and im pretty sure it's when the midlet attempts to create a connection (which in turn should start the other midlet) Sometimes a "Symbian OS error -33" message appears...haven't found what that is yet.

unregistering is not too useful because its a static link. and it's a single midlet, so there shouldn't be any sharing of connections. as i said i've got it working with another midlet, just not the one i want...there must be something in that midlet, but it's way too big to post code here.

any ideas? thanks

Regular Contributor

i see error -33 is a "time out error" as i expected...still doesn't help me cos i don't know why it would time out connecting....what's the problem?

Hi Larry101,

Yep, -33 is KErrTimedOut - Timed out.

"unregistering is not too useful because its a static link".
    You're right, this is for dynamic registration.

"as i said i've got it working with another midlet, just not the one i want...there must be something in that midlet"

Which set of APIs are you using on that MIDlet?

Juarez Junior

Regular Contributor

well, i seem to have figured it out...
    seems the problem was that i was opening a network connection to fire the push registry application, but was never actually connecting to it on the other end. That was causing the timeout.

What is weird is that it would start the other app a couple of times successfully before the timeouts happened...bizarre. Anywayz, hopes this helps someone who ever has a similar problem

I have a similar problem,that when i run my midlet for the first time, it works with the an error "registration failed please try using OTA".But when i run it again it is stuck.
    So pls share me if you have got a solution so far.
    best
    w.b

Super Contributor

From your post it is not exactly clear what your MIDlet tries to do and what really is the problem. However some suggestions.
    Do you have any other MIDlet on the phone registered to listen to the port you tried to register to use? Are you trying to register to listen to a port which is not availabel for some other reason (delivery method not supported, port out of range?)

Hartti