Discussion Board

N91 WiFi (WLAN) and Bluetooth Issues.

Hi Everyone,

I am having some issues with my new N91. I recently had the firmware upgraded, and the issues have not improved at all. I'm hoping someone out there has faced and solved some similar issues, or perhaps that you can point me in the right direction towards finding a solution of my own.

WiFi (WLAN). Okay, the N91 comes with WiFi built in. I have been able to find networks, and browse the internet on my phone, in Infrastructure mode. It is pretty simple. The problem has to do with encryption.
    On my home network, I use WPA encryption with TKIP. The N91 configuration screens give me the option of using WPA with TKIP, but the phone won't connect. I tried changing to WEP on my home network, and configuring the N91 to use that encryption instead, but it also did not work.
    Since I use other computers on my network with WiFi, turning off encryption is not an option. I did test the phone and the router with encryption off, it connects.

The issue is, the N91 will only connect to un-encrypted networks. This is fine for free hotspots, but I want to sync with my home PC via WLAN, send email and use the phone via VOIP. I also need to connect to encrypted networks on the road.

Has anyone managed to connect to an encrypted network with an N91? Do you know what specific hardware you were connecting to, and what protocols you used?

The second issue is Bluetooth. I drive a 2006 BMW M3 with bluetooth support. My old phone (Sony t630) connected to the car via bluetooth flawlessly. It shared the phonebook with my car, and automatically diverts calls to the car when I'm driving. I can answer the phone via a button on my steering wheel, which automatically cuts out the radio and allows me to take calls while driving.

The Nokia "pairs" with my car. However, regardless of what I do, it will not share the phone book, nor will it transfer audio to my car's sound system. According to the Nokia documentation, the pairing process requires that a code be entered for the bluetooth device on the phone, and for the phone on the bluetooth device. I cannot set a code in my car (the bluetooth device), since that is not an option. I can set the code on the phone for my car, and the phone then reports "Pairing Complete". Setting a code on the car was not required for my trusty old Sony. Though the N91 claims "Pairing Complete" there does not appear to be any mechanism for activating the car handsfree via the phone, and the car does not automatically take a call if the phone rings while paired. (On the Sony, one can "Send Call" to a blue tooth device, if the device doesn't automatically take the call, or if the pairing takes place after the call has been initiated.)

Does anyone know of a work around to get the phone to pair for audio (I can live without the phone book). Does anyone know of a third party application that will fix the blue tooth on the Nokia to make it work more effectively with my car?

Any information that can be provided on either of these topics will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dan

(Retired) Nokia Developer Admin.

Re: N91 WiFi (WLAN) and Bluetooth Issues.

Hi Dan,

This discussion board is only for Developer Support.

Nokia end user products support questions should be addressed at Nokia's online support sites http://www.nokia.com/support not here in Forum Nokia.

Also there are some localized product support forums and one that is monitored and where you can get attention and solutions http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/discussions/. If you post your concerns there you may get a response from there.

I'm sorry we could not help you.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I guess maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post. The following features on my N91 phone don't work.
    WiFi with Encryption
    Bluetooth with a BMW

After browsing the internet and the discussion boards you mentioned, they do not work at all, on any Nokia N91. Do you, as developers have any solutions? Are you working on any? Are you, as developers, aware of any specific issues concerned with the development of software that might interface with WLAN or Bluetooth? If not, what needs to be done for a problem to be inspected?

How about another angle: Are any of your developers interested in freelancing a solution? If Nokia isn't interested in ensuring the function of advertised features on their products, maybe an independent contractor/developer is? If not, I'll see about funding the solution myself, or with the help of other Nokia sufferers.

Phone != Working. Anyone care to address it and come up with a solution?

Dan

Super Contributor

FWIW, the N91 I have works fine with my WLAN access point (128-bit WEP encryption, hidden SSID).

Don't know about BMW's or their Bluetooth (again, the N91 I have works with a couple of different Bluetooth headsets from different manufacturers just fine).

Hi Petrib,

Thanks for the response. You're my first confirmation for a user with Encryption. Just out of curiosity, can you say what brand Access point you're using? I'm using a Linksys router; I'd like to isolate the issue as specifically as possible. Also, which firmware does your phone sport? My phone is using a firmware dated May of this year, if memory serves.

As for the bluetooth headeset compatibility, I don't have any headsets to work with, only my car at the moment. According to the Nokia instructions, the pairing process requires an access code in both directions. Can anyone confirm if this is the case, or is there a way to software code it for one-way authentication (only entering a pairing code on the phone?).

Thanks again.

Dan

Dan, I had same problem, but now I can connect to WLAN without problems. I disabled MAC filter, and I have a Linksys router too, so, maybe this is the final detail you need to finaly connect.

PS: Sorry for my english :P

HI DANSCOOP,

I hope I am not too late with this reply. I exactly had the same problem as yours with the same kind of equipment ( linksys...) When using wpa, it just doesn't want to connect, but WEP 128 works fine.
    Here is your solution: this is a workaround.
    you go to your router, then you configure it to security wep 128, then on your phone, you go to tools, settings, connection and you create a profine with as access point name "Default". Of course you have to type the whole things in from wep key, then exit.
    Try to connect, and immediately this will work. After that, you go to your router, then you change the security from WEP to wpa tkip. and finally back to your phone, you go to that default profile, then you edit it, and you change wep to wpa, and specify of course the TKIP support, then exit.
    Retry to connect internet, magic , it works, at least for me.
    Hope this helps, there is no logic to this, but this is how I figured it out.
    Cheers

Hi there, I have a N91 and 320i touring with factory fitted sortware. You need firmware version 2.20.008 from nokia. I went on the website and got it. In the car you will have to do a totally fresh install of the phone. In my case it only uploaded the 2nd have of the phone book and would not do the first half. I had to do this one by one -- took a while but all is working great now

Hi,

I have the N91 with the last up-date ( 2.20.008 ) and my car ( sept 2006 BMW 530D Navi prof with bluetooth ) was just complete up dated last week.

and I can not use my N91 in my car, the BMW recognize the n91 and pair it but no connection is possible ( my old Nokia 6230 has no problem !!! ).

I m really dispointed because a lot of old phone are working and my "high tech " N91 not.
    Does any one have an idea ?

Thanks

I am afraid that you have came to the wrong place this discussion board is only for Developers support, not for Nokia products or end user application support.
    There is a Nokia product support forum that is monitored and where you can get attention and solutions it is at http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/. If you post your question there you may get a better response.

Ron

Hi Ron,
    Yes I know but I need help and noone give me( us ) any advice so I m trying all that I can.

The idea is to know if someone have any idea how to configure the N91 to make it compatible to the BMW....

Otherwise I ll have to sell it !!

Regards

Oh don't sell the BMW they are such nice automobiles. !!

Seriously I hope this is just something simple. I also have a problem pairing my system with my Navigation system but I never bothered to figure it out, something simple I'm overlooking for sure... but what. I wish you good luck.

Ron

Hi,

thanks Ron, I spend the last one hour trying everything, pairing more times, changing the name, reseting everything, change configuration..... without any succes.

I will try to contact Nokia, and BMW ...

By by