Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SMS via phone connected to PC

Hi

I want to develop a simple solution for sending and receiving messages from an OLD nokia 3120 which I have connected to a PC.
    Can someone point me in the direction of where to start ?

This is a personal project and I would like to start from scratch so I know what I'm talking about once I'm done.

Thanks
    GO

Re: SMS via phone connected to PC

Hai,

im also facing the same problem, could anyone do something

Telefonkongen

Super Contributor

Set it up as a modem, if the 3120 supports that (I don't know). Then open the modem (corresponding "virtual" serial/COM port) and write AT commands to the port and read and parese the results. Search http://forum.nokia.com/ for the documents detailing supported AT commands on different models.

Thumbs down Re: SMS via phone connected to PC

Quote Originally Posted by petrib
    Set it up as a modem, if the 3120 supports that (I don't know). Then open the modem (corresponding "virtual" serial/COM port) and write AT commands to the port and read and parese the results. Search http://forum.nokia.com/ for the documents detailing supported AT commands on different models.
    Can I use the Nokia 3120 for connectivity using the AT commands or do I need a higher power version?

/Gandalfdk

Quote Originally Posted by gandalfdk
    Can I use the Nokia 3120 for connectivity using the AT commands or do I need a higher power version?

/Gandalfdk

hi! this is my fisrt time to ask for question. im starting to develop a software that can send and receive sms via phone connected to pc using my 3100 but this model doesn't support AT commands. i'll be coding it in c++ or visual c++. can someone help me make this possible? thnx!

Quote Originally Posted by gandalfdk

/Gandalfdk
    Open Hyperterminal. Then send the command "AT" to the mobile phone. If the response from the mobile phone is "OK", it supports AT commands.

Quote Originally Posted by pards073001
    hi! this is my fisrt time to ask for question. im starting to develop a software that can send and receive sms via phone connected to pc using my 3100 but this model doesn't support AT commands. i'll be coding it in c++ or visual c++. can someone help me make this possible? thnx!
    You may try using Gnokii (Gnokii is an open-source program, http://www.gnokii.org/) to handle lower level communication between the phone and PC. I have checked Gnokii's documentation and found that Nokia 3100 is supported by the nk6510 driver.

the 2.1 sdk and 3.0 sdk has great samples in it, i was able to write from scratch an automated grades query system where students would send an sms to a phone attached to a pc, and the pc would then look up the student and the grade from a database and send the same back in reply.

check your phone if it is supported by any of these 2 PC connectivity SDKs.

Quote Originally Posted by jericsm
    the 2.1 sdk and 3.0 sdk has great samples in it, i was able to write from scratch an automated grades query system where students would send an sms to a phone attached to a pc, and the pc would then look up the student and the grade from a database and send the same back in reply.

check your phone if it is supported by any of these 2 PC connectivity SDKs.
    yeah. both of it have great samples in VB. i'll be developing my application in c++. can you or someone give a sample code in sending sms the c++ way?

Hi
    u said u can interface mobile phone with PC using VB also.. can u give some more details.
    I have cell 6600 and data cord.What else do i need to intreface to the application

you need the nokia 2.1 or 3.0 pc connnectivity sdk (note that 3.0 is needed for more relatively advanced phones. simply put, if your phone supports multiple numbers for a single contact, chances are you will need the 3.0 sdk, otherwise you'll need the 2.1. to be sure, RTFM. )

if you have these, i can give you the source code for the grades gateway done in VB, or a chat program using sms also done in VB ( the chat program is more complete in that it also handles contacts management...)

hi,
    Thanks for reply.
    Why is SDK package required? i m trying using VB so how?

you need the SDK (software development kit) for Nokia so you would have the libraries installed so you can reference the objects from your VB program. Once you have it installed, you add a reference to it in your project, or do a CreateObject for a dynamic link.

So where do i get SDK downloads From??