Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Resons For using OEM version and Proffessional version

Hi,

My company is planning to buy out few licenses for Code warrior and Carbide C++.

For this, can somebody tell me five supporting reasons for buying OEM version and what type of application or software that are suitable of OEM version. Also which should be the preferred choice Code Warrior or Carbide C++.

Ashfaq Ghori

Super Contributor

Re: Resons For using OEM version and Proffessional version

The OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version of CodeWarrior you'd probably only need, if you are actually creating Symbian OS based devices (either for/at the manufacturer or a subcontractor in a device project).

If you do just user-mode applications, then the Personal or Professional versions should be enough (you can compare the features on http://forum.nokia.com/codewarrior).

As to Carbide.c++, currently only the free Carbide.c++ Express version is available (http://forum.nokia.com/carbide) now.

And, depending on what you're building, you may or may not need or want also the RVCT compiler from ARM (their RealView DEVELOP package, I think it is in) in addition to or instead of the free GCC/GCC-E target compiler.

So, check out if the free Carbide.c++ Express is suffient for your needs now, and wait for the Carbide.c++ Developer (or whatever the more comprehensive non-free version will be called) and decide later (noting that CodeWarrior is not going to be developed any further for Symbian use, and that Carbide is the direction forward).

Hi,

As petrib allready mentioned difference between CW OEM and PRO is the Stop mode debugging which is used with development board during the new phone development. If you are just doing applications the Pro is enough. the biggest difference between Persona and Pro is the on-device debugging. Pro supports that Personal does not.

The Carbide.C++ developer 1.1 is now in beta phase and will be launched guite soon. Developer version corresponds the CW Personal but it has more features than CW Personal. It contains UI designe and On-device debugging features.

Regular Contributor

Hi,
    Actually I need to name out few application or categories (except from device driver) that requires OEM (that is with out it development is not feasible)

Say, An Application can be built on personnel edition by to actually test on device and identifying the exact panic Professional version suits more. Like wise I need to figure it out.

As told earlier that we are going to buy the licenses hence I need to be more careful in justifying the reasons.

Ashfaq Ghori

Hi,

The most reliable and up to date information you can get if you mail directly to sales.codewarrior@nokia.com. They will help you to solve your version problem.