Discussion Board

Lightbulb Give us JSR 253 - Mobile Telephony API

Hello Nokia:

We think JSR 253 is a great addition to J2ME. We have several Symbian applications waiting to be ported to Java.

Please give us JSR 253 ASAP.

Thank you

Barry J
    celCall Ltd.
    www.celcall.com

Super Contributor

Re: Give us JSR 253 - Mobile Telephony API

Thanks for the feedback. Nokia as been participating in drafting the spec so we are aware of the features the JSR-253 provices. However the JSR-253 has been only recently approved (March) and it is not part of the MSA (JSR-248) spec. I cannot make any promises or predictions when the JSR-253 is available on Nokia handsets.

Hartti

Hi,

is this now available to Nokia handsets?
    in particular the N70?

thanks

Super Contributor

crobin, you cannot add APIs later on a device. As of now there is no JSR-253 capable handset on the market.

Hartti

Hello,
    I am looking for developing an call realted application. So I was planning to use Telephony API(JSR 253)..but I found it in this forum no handset in the market support this, but its a year back.

May I know in this present scenario any device support JSR 253. and help reagarding this new JSR 253

Thankyou in advance

Super Contributor

My previous comment on this thread is less than one month old. The situation has not changed since. No phones yet out there supporting JSR-253

Hartti

Quote Originally Posted by hartti View Post
    crobin, you cannot add APIs later on a device. As of now there is no JSR-253 capable handset on the market.

Hartti
    Just wondering why that API could not be added at any time with a firmware update? I can't imagine it would be a hardware limitation since native symbian applications already have access to these types of features.

Super Contributor

It does not seem that the future of JSR-253 is very brigth. The spec was finalized early 2006, there are still not any phones with this API available (from any manufacturer), and specification of Mobile Telephony API version 2 has been started a long time ago (JSR-304, although this specification seems to have not progressed very well).

Summary: I would not hold my breath waiting for this API.

Hartti

Quote Originally Posted by hartti View Post
    It does not seem that the future of JSR-253 is very brigth
    And now, at the end of 2008 ? My company needs this functionnality. I would prefer to implement our soft in j2me but I'll have to choose native symbian or windows mobile, with preference for C# on C++. Which means the thousands phones of our clients will be windows mobile and then not nokia phones.

Seems stupid in the nokia commercial point of vue...
    Last edited by ggodart; 2008-11-06 at 13:37.

Nokia Developer Moderator

If you check devices on http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices, you will see the situation. The topmost 3 devices have been just announced, 2 days ago. They still do not support JSR 253.

You do not have to write e-mails to me.
    When you open the devices page, you see a list. And that list is in "reverse date-of-announcement" order, or how to say. So the most recent ones are on the first page. And if you check the first 3 ("topmost") devices, they (5130 XpressMusic, 7100 Supernova and the 2322 classic) are all announced just the day before yesterday. And they have no JSR 253 support.
    Since they are based on S40 5th edition, you may want to filter for S40 6th edition, there is only one such device announced (7510 Supernova), and it also lacks of support for JSR 253.

Super Contributor

Yep, not available. As I said in early 2008, the future of this JSR does not seem to be too bright. In fact the JSR-304 was formed to overcome the shortcomings of the JSR-253. see here http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=304

The call interfaces are much better in Symbian C++. Additionally Open C++ could make the transition to create a Symbian application a little easier
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso...ies/openc_cpp/
    (although you would still need to use S60 / Symbian interfaces for UI at least - oh and possibly for call control as well... hmmm.. might be not much of a help here after all...)

Hartti

1) So, no support for JSR-253, and JSR-304. But, is there existing some kind of telephony call control API for devices of S40 series (Java or C++)?
    2) As I understood all S60 devices support S60 5-th edition C++ developer library and therefore support ETel_3rd_Party_API. Is it correct?

Thenk you,
    Leonid.

Quote Originally Posted by vleonid View Post
    1) So, no support for JSR-253, and JSR-304. But, is there existing some kind of telephony call control API for devices of S40 series (Java or C++)?
    C++ is not an option for Series 40 application development. As for Java you might want to check the latest SDK, released recently, see if there is any change with regards to offering support for the above mentioned JSRs.

It is also a good idea to search the dedicated Java forums on this board and to place your questions there.

Quote Originally Posted by vleonid View Post
    2) As I understood all S60 devices support S60 5-th edition C++ developer library and therefore support ETel_3rd_Party_API. Is it correct?

Thenk you,
    Leonid.
    The S60 5th Edition C++ Developer Library as well as the S60 5th Edition SDK's help are in fact documenting the S60 5th Edition SDK. Of course there are parts of it which are generic and apply backwards to the earlyer platform releases but you should be clevel enough when reading and aply the appropriate filters. Each platform release (and its SDK) has the corresponding CDL or SDK documentation and that is the most reliable source of information that is release specific.

ETel3rdParty API (CTelephony) is indeed supported since S60 3rd Edition (also documented for S60 2nd Edition FP3 but device support is likely missing).
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite