×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    24

    device and emulator behaves differently

    Is it normal?
    Please, don't laugh. I'm a newbie in MIDP development.

    Trying to debug a program (I'm pretty sure that the bug
    resides in my code) I find that it works ok in the emulator
    but fails in the device.

    My environment:
    - Eclipse
    - Carbide.j
    - SDK S60 2nd FP2
    - Nokia 6630

    What I like to know is if the different behaviour (I've got
    a java exception in the device whereas it works ok in the
    emulator) is a common thing to see.

    Are there any general advice for this situations?

    Regards,
    -H.

  2. #2
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA, CA
    Posts
    7,191

    Re: device and emulator behaves differently

    The general advice is to be more specific in your question. What are you trying to do, what is the result, what exception do you get, what does your code look like...?

    Hartti

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    1,884

    Re: device and emulator behaves differently

    Hi -H,

    "I've got a java exception in the device"
    As Hartti suggested, please let us know the exception you're getting as well as the APIs you're using (JSRs) and code, that may help a lot in analyzing the problem.

    BR,

    Juarez Jr
    Last edited by juarezjunior; 2006-08-09 at 16:00.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    24

    Re: device and emulator behaves differently

    Please, appologize. I didn't meant to be that sparse.

    Actually, I was looking for an advise more related to some IDE configuration rather than guidance with my (buggy) use of the API.

    I'm at work right now and I don't have the details here. AFAICR, the java exception is a "Null URI" one. I don't know which method I'm screwing up with because all the connection process is inside a try block.

    I'll include all the details in a future message --under the Networking forum-- if I'm stuck again. First I'll try to reformat the code to locate the specific API method that raise the exception.

    FWIW: I didn't write the code. I've just picked up a public project that I would like to use in my personal mobile. I'm now trying to fix it so I can use it with my device and operator.
    The project is GCalSync and it lets you sync Google Calendar events with the PIM mobile.
    If some of you want to play with it, get it at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gcalsync

    Regards,
    -Hernan.

  5. #5
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Europe/Poland/Warsaw
    Posts
    1,697

    Re: device and emulator behaves differently

    hi Hernan,

    well, as n2n (newbie-to-newbie), you're actually doing the same as me - researching java/j2me space for interaction with web 2 public apis,
    as an advice:
    #1
    use NetBeans + MobilityPack as development tools (unless you're some Eclipse-maniac)
    http://www.netbeans.org/index.html

    #2
    download Carbide.j (1.5) and install it as "standalone" not integrated with NetBeans
    #3
    download required Nokia SDK (e.g. S60 2nd ED fp 2 sdk)
    #4
    integrate all SDK (nokia prototypes from Carbide.j installation and S** SDK) with NetBeans using "Add platform" feature (that's fully automatic process),

    start experimenting, there is no need to use Carbide.j for a project which simply uses standard MIDP2.0/CLDC1.1 project and JSR-75, just use NetBeans and S60 2ndEd FP2 SDK (I have 6680 so has that sdk - BUT I REALLY LOVE s60 3rd Ed emulator - it could be much better for you for testing network-related issues, e.g. headers/data exchanged between emulator and google web server),

    the project you pointed is something I've also started - however I used Upcoming.org api and PIM research area,

    as to issues - it could be anything: wrong .jad entry about api permission, something with kxml-min.jar code (3rd party library), etc,
    i'll grab sources via CSV and let you know what I get - it looks like one of projects I looked for learning purposes,

    regards,
    Peter

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    24

    Re: device and emulator behaves differently

    Quote Originally Posted by peterblazejewicz
    ...
    #1 use NetBeans + MobilityPack as development tools
    Oh noooo.... Another IDE!
    Funnily enough, I've got more IDE installed than compiler/interpreter languages in my PC.

    Quote Originally Posted by peterblazejewicz
    (unless you're some Eclipse-maniac)
    No way!
    I'm only maniac with vim and command-line builders. heh heh

    I started with Eclipse because I was taking a look at Carbide-C++.
    Then I said to myself "ok, let's do eclipse for all that hype around it".

    Seriously now. I'll give a try to Netbeans this weekend.

    Quote Originally Posted by peterblazejewicz
    start experimenting, there is no need to use Carbide.j for a project which simply uses standard MIDP2.0/CLDC1.1 project and JSR-75, just use NetBeans and S60 2ndEd FP2 SDK (I have 6680 so has that sdk - BUT I REALLY LOVE s60 3rd Ed emulator - it could be much better for you for testing network-related issues, e.g. headers/data exchanged between emulator and google web server),
    as to issues - it could be anything: wrong .jad entry about api permission, something with kxml-min.jar code (3rd party library), etc,
    i'll grab sources via CSV and let you know what I get - it looks like one of projects I looked for learning purposes,
    I'll do my homework this weekend following your advises.

    Thanks a lot,
    -Hernán.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×