Discussion Board

Remove added words from T9 dicitonary?

Hey, is there a way to have an overview of the words I added to the T9 dicionary? Or is there a way to remove mis-spelled words? Or replace te dicitonary on the phone with a "clean" dictionary without added words (does a reset with factory settings does this)?

Super Contributor

Re: Remove added words from T9 dicitonary?

Quote Originally Posted by TomVDJ
    Hey, is there a way to have an overview of the words I added to the T9 dicionary? Or is there a way to remove mis-spelled words? Or replace te dicitonary on the phone with a "clean" dictionary without added words (does a reset with factory settings does this)?
    In my experience and AFAIK, you cannot review the words that you have entered into the dictionary. And I never came across a way to remove the miss spelt words.

Regards
    Gopal

Super Contributor

Cool Re: Remove added words from T9 dicitonary?

Well actually you can export/edit/remove T9 dictionary but it´s kind of tricky. I did this when changing Nokia 6630 to N90 so I didn´t have to press in all the words again that was saved in the T9 dictionary from my old phone.

First you need to install a file explorer program, such as FExplorer. After that you need so search after the file "PTIT9UDB0F.DAT" that contains the extra T9 input you do yourself. Usually it is located under C:\system\data\PTIT9UDB0F.DAT

Then select to copy the file (just in case) and paste it in elsewhere under some folder. Then rename the file to .txt and select to send it as attachment in e-mail or via bluetooth to your computer. When you have the file on the computer open it with e.g. notepad. Now you will see the words you have enter, but they will not be sorted so well since it contains other data that can´t be displayed by notepad.

Now you can edit or remove any words that you don´t want to keep. Save the file and then send it back to the phone and paste the file on it´s original place. When it is there rename the file .dat again.

I will not take any responsibility if someone reads this post and do it the wrong way and mess their phone up ;-)

I think it's very very strange that allthought every possible option is built into cell phones today, removing miss spelt user added words from your dictionary isn't possible???? That should be a standard option, being able to view the words you have added and possibly delete some....
    Guess there still some important work to do for the nokia crew!

edit :
    I found a file called 101F8615_F.dat in directory C:\Predic. That contain the user added words. I just deleted the file and the miss spelt words are gone
    Last edited by TaranQ; 2008-11-02 at 21:25.

Nokia Developer Moderator

If you search for remove words from t9 with Google, you may benefit from checking the hit on N95Users.com.
    Otherwise note the title: Developer Discussion Boards. Your question is more related to user support discussions, like http://discussions.europe.nokia.com ...
    From a developer point of view the E51 is an S60 3rd edition device, so the T9 dictionary may be subject to data caging, and reside in a private folder. Also note that the built-in File Manager shows you c:\Data as phone memory root, so you can not access C:\system\data using it. 3rd-party file managers can help you checking if the file is there.